Dash Cluster Bulb Change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:26 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Dash Cluster Bulb Change

Want to change out my gauge bulbs to red LED....Anyone have any knowledge of taking the cluster apart?....is it sealed?....and am i looking at condensation problems if i rip it apart?....curios minds need to know......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:34 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Want to change out my gauge bulbs to red LED....Anyone have any knowledge of taking the cluster apart?....is it sealed?....and am i looking at condensation problems if i rip it apart?....curios minds need to know......

The cluster comes loose by removing a bolt in each lower corner(45 below the fuel & temp. gauges). Pull it slightly forward and the lamps plug in from the rear.

PM me with your e-mail address for a picture of the back of the cluster. The file is a little too large to post here.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Jun 24th, 2007 at 12:47 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Veteran

How about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	instrument bulbs.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	5460  

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I did this to mine last year.
Bought blue leds from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
I believe it is the #74 Instrument cluster led.
Have had no problems with moisture whatsoever and looks pretty cool as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
How about this?
thanks bruce.....sorry about the e-mail address....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenglish
I did this to mine last year.
Bought blue leds from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html
I believe it is the #74 Instrument cluster led.
Have had no problems with moisture whatsoever and looks pretty cool as well.

yes...I wanted to change them out to red to cut down on the glare and night vision problem.....but notice that the leads to the bulbs are wired to the sockets instead of a twist type base that gets its power from the printed circut...will the #74 LED set up come with the base with the LED workings inclosed?...or do they just pop into the standard BMW base?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 2:09 am

you can pull the standard bulbs out and replace them with the LEDs with no problem. You shouldn't have to remove the instrument panal, just reach behind and pull the sockets out. Removing the panal makes life much easier though. The sockets are mounted in the cluster with rubber mounts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 3:30 am
Addict

I had problems just finding a compatible wedge lamp so thanks for the link I'd need to be sure #74 was the correct substitute.

I think If I was going led, I'd look at putting the instrument backlights on a common ground with a variable resistor so I could set the brightness to what I want. These are the one's to change first as they are on a long time, go black, and fail first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I had problems just finding a compatible wedge lamp so thanks for the link I'd need to be sure #74 was the correct substitute.

I think If I was going led, I'd look at putting the instrument backlights on a common ground with a variable resistor so I could set the brightness to what I want. These are the one's to change first as they are on a long time, go black, and fail first.
come to think of it....I think there is a gnd wire that bolts to the frame just for the dash....but thinking its for lights and gauges...but with separate wires running to the gnd bolt eyelet......I think....so would have to figure out witch wire really gnds the lamps alone...and then could run a resistor inline from there....if there too bright....good thought...thanks!...The bulb should be a t-1 3/4...that is a 74 or a 73...both the same except little different rating....

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jun 25th, 2007 at 2:31 pm.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2007, 5:20 pm
Addict

I notice on their site they offer configurations with side facing leds. I think At least 1 lamp in the cluster (the clock) may need some brightness at the side and leds are narrow beam and very directional. The others that light up the clocks have to scatter their light so they may be the same. If you include the warning leds, you have to be careful about how the color matches the filter color in the housing. e.g not all reds are the same. It's the same problem if you try to put leds behind the oem rear lens.

Green is a common color choice for cars, amber has plenty of brightness too, but blues and reds tend to be less efficient.

All you need to do is find the ground wires to the back light lamps, cut those, join each group together and put the resistor/control transistor between the 2 groups. However, it may not be that easy if the leds are the clever type. If they just have an integrated series resistor and run at 12 volt you're ok. BUT some have a constant current chip inside so you get the same brightness from say 6-16 volts. Those might be more of a challenge to dim.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode