valve adjustment - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict

valve adjustment

just checked my valves for the first time myself. 35k, was curious. they were perfrect, but i have a couple of questions. first, why is there a spring between the valve cover and the cam housing? also, is the black vinyl thingy on the cam chain the compensator? if it is, it is like new too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Veteran

The spring is there to provide an electrical ground for the cover.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2007, 5:56 pm
Addict

This must be contagious. I also checked my valve clearances at 36K and every one was also fine. The black thingy on the top is the chain guide - they can wear but mine was perfect. Also the other 2 thingys behind the timing chain cover are 'wearable' plastic guides, you're supposed to throw money at them and replace them - mine were perfect. Then there's the oil seal - mine wasn't leaking but I'll change it anyway. Then there's the timing chain cover leak - mine WAS leaking so I'll take care of that.

No, the actual tensioner which is spring and oil pressure powered, is behind the timing cover - not much to do there. That's when you push in the 1/8 drill to keep the thing tensioned before removing the cover. Mine exploded, but fortunately I caught the bits. Now I know what the hole and pin is for I'll be a bit more careful next time - like hang a big towel over the timing cover as it comes off, just in case it explodes again! My new piece of 1/8 rod now has a depth stop on it, so I know when it's in the hole right, having practised a bit with the cover and tensioner flat on the bench.

Plenty to look at in there Bill, just don't get the chain out of sequence if you move it, take the sprockets off etc - keep the crank at the mark, piston 1 at TDC with the no 1 cams as it shows in the manual.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode