k1200 fan prob - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

k1200 fan prob

Hello, having a problem with my 1998 k1200rs where the fuse for the radiator fans is blowing out. Replacement of the fuse did not resolve, blew once bike got hot. Tested both fans by applying 12v & both spun with no issues. Both fans do not seem to be warped & are clearing shroud. Replaced fan relay with same results (blown fuse) fans not coming on. When bike runs & gets hot both radiators are hot & beleive they are equally hot, hose to waterpump is hot as well as hose that cncts both tanks. Radiator fluid was replaced last season & tested ok & is filled between to max in overflow tank. If anyone has any information on how & what to test next it would be much appreciated...thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 4:28 pm
Rookie

One thing that may save you some time:
I learned how to run the fans without having to heat up the bike.
Simply disconnect the connector under the seat that leads to the temperature sensor in the head (rear of the engine). It is closest to the tank on the left side. It has two wires (purple and Brown with yellow stripe on my 2002s).

When you disconnect this, with the key on, side-stand up, in Neutral, the ECU instructs the fans to blow. If you pop the fuse, I'd disconnect the fans and check out the relay and wiring to the fans.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP24
If anyone has any information on how & what to test next it would be much appreciated...
Here's a couple of questions to ponder - between the time the fuse didn't blow and the instance when fuses started to blow, did anything change (added something, or fiddled with something)? And if so, what was it?

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniewiderstand
Simply disconnect the connector under the seat that leads to the temperature sensor in the head (rear of the engine). It is closest to the tank on the left side. It has two wires (purple and Brown with yellow stripe on my 2002s).

When you disconnect this, with the key on, side-stand up, in Neutral, the ECU instructs the fans to blow. If you pop the fuse, I'd disconnect the fans and check out the relay and wiring to the fans.
Ok, sounds good i'll check it out ....thx
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Here's a couple of questions to ponder - between the time the fuse didn't blow and the instance when fuses started to blow, did anything change (added something, or fiddled with something)? And if so, what was it?
did not add or fiddle...overheated first time when I got stuck in traffic, noticed horn stopped working about the same time. I figured the fuse blew & it did. Replaced & continued to blow, replaced $12.00 fan relay hoping for an easy fix (after testing fans) & it was a no go.
PS fans did work prior to getting caught in traffic that day
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
did not add or fiddle...overheated first time when I got stuck in traffic, noticed horn stopped working about the same time. I figured the fuse blew & it did. Replaced & continued to blow, replaced $12.00 fan relay hoping for an easy fix (after testing fans) & it was a no go.
PS fans did work prior to getting caught in traffic that day
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniewiderstand

great info, I did what you suggested disconnected at sensor & fuse blew.
I disconnected both fans & fuse did not blow.
I connected each fan by itself, when i connected only the right side the fuse did not blow.
When I connected left side fan only, fuse blew.
I then connected the fan from the right side to the left side wiring & it was fine, did not blow the fuse.

The one thing that I don't understand is why when I hooked the left fan directly to 12v did it spin with no issues? Maybe it on its way out & was heating up the wires enough to blow the fuse?

Anyhow thanks a lot it sounds like I need to replace that fan. Do you know if the fans are normally swapped in pairs? Also where I might be able to pick them up for a good price?
Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP24
great info, I did what you suggested disconnected at sensor & fuse blew.
I disconnected both fans & fuse did not blow.
I connected each fan by itself, when i connected only the right side the fuse did not blow.
When I connected left side fan only, fuse blew.
I then connected the fan from the right side to the left side wiring & it was fine, did not blow the fuse.

The one thing that I don't understand is why when I hooked the left fan directly to 12v did it spin with no issues? Maybe it on its way out & was heating up the wires enough to blow the fuse?

Anyhow thanks a lot it sounds like I need to replace that fan. Do you know if the fans are normally swapped in pairs? Also where I might be able to pick them up for a good price?
Thanks

Glad you solved your problem. Buy your fans separately. Check the prices at Chicago BMW or Hammersly BMW, these dealers seem to have the best prices.

ps. Where the heck is Kendall Park?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Enthusiast

K1200 fan problem

There was a service action on K1200 fans not long after your bike was built. Cooling fans were supposed to be replaced on a VIN range, with improved fans having a blue dot on their frame. It's a bit late for warranty help, but I'm curious whether your bike slipped through the cracks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Glad you solved your problem. Buy your fans separately. Check the prices at Chicago BMW or Hammersly BMW, these dealers seem to have the best prices.

ps. Where the heck is Kendall Park?
Thx so I'll only replace the one thats bad thx...Kendall Park is between New Brunswick & Princeton NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode