Tungsten e2 w/ Aqua box - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2007, 7:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tungsten e2 w/ Aqua box

I'm debating buying this GPS for my PDA: http://store.palm.com/product/index....&parentPage=fa mily.

and mounting it to my bike with this: http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mo...ox_1_mount.htm.

ANY insight would be really useful. I am considering this because of interchangebility with my car and it is ALOT cheaper. One concern I have is being able to use the touch screen.

If I was to get a regular GPS and use this mount you wouldn't be able to use a touch screen would you? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2007, 9:30 pm

Pda Gps

Hey, I'd recommend you look at the Garmin motorcyle product line of GPS's. They are completely waterproof andwill save you a lot of agony if it gets wet. Also, can be hooked up to Auto Com or something similar.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 9:29 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGRIDER1039
I'd recommend you look at the Garmin motorcyle product line of GPS's. They are completely waterproof andwill save you a lot of agony if it gets wet.
One noteworthy feature is the instant lightening of the pocketbook upon purchase.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm

GPS Mounting

I use an Ipaq 4150 with Tom Tom satnav and Ram mounting. No aqua box just small polyethene bag over it went it rains. Ipaq is plumbed into our Autcomm intercom.

All works well, would recommend it. Given you have to always remove satnav from bike when away from it most other hardware is bigger in your pocket whereas pda solution is very compact

Found touch screen works fine. Mounting is excellent. Any questions email me.

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Touch Screen

Oh forgot to mention touch screen. Can be a prob with thick gloves. One help solution is I brought some pda finger stylus and sewed them onto one of my gloves . This gives you a "pointy" bit on your glove for the screen.

One slight problem I have found is reading the screen I need reading glasses so about to invest in RAm magnifying thingy

nigldv

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 2:17 pm

no screen

ok - so it probably negates 50% of the value of gps, but i've been wandering around london with the ipaq win ce phone in my top pocket (tom tom data), and 'phones in the ear - so no 'visuals'.

It has taken some time to get totally familiar with the 'way' that tom tom works, but over the past few months I've rarely had a problem with this approach, including yesterday when i switched it on after passing Heathrow airport, after 3 hrs highway driving collecting my first bmw bike = a very sweet '98 k1200 rs.

just dowloaded the tom tom Western & Central Europe data in anticipation of an 8 to 12 week road trip - starting in norway soon.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2007, 9:14 pm

Go Zumo and get it over with. Better GPS, Touch Screen with gloves, visible in full
Sunlight, great support , transportable from bike to car, all mounts and all cable supplied, MP3, JPEG, XM, Bluetooth... etc....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:38 am

GPS+motorcycle=not safe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:50 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogypsy
GPS+motorcycle=not safe
3 years and 70k miles = I disagree

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

fine...but the next time youre moving along the desolate hiway at 80mph and you're looking down fiddling around with your GPS....then suddenly look up to find a semi-tractor trailor pulling back out onto the road at 15mph and it scares the shit out of you....let me know. hearing stories like this one from other GT riders only confirms what I already know! They are a distraction. You if anyone should know that motorcyclists dont get many second chances....or maybe you've had more than your fair share of second chances?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode