Trailer a K12...? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Trailer a K12...?

Well, I might as well get it out in the open. I have committed to buy what I think is a really nice K1200RS from a fellow enthusiast in one of our far western states.

It looks like the plan is is to trailer it back home late next week.

I have driven a lot of miles towing trailers so that is not the question, but would appreciate any tips for tieing down a K12, or BMW in general.

Good tie points? Things to avoid? OK to tie to system case rails?
Do you like to compress the shocks? Or leave it a little loose/ On my Harleys- we did not like to compress too much- folklore was that it was not good for the shocks.

Tie-down with it on the center stand, no stand, side stand?
Seems to me that is would be good on the center stand, but if it rolled off, say on hard breaking, it might end up with too much slack on the ties. Thoughts?

Any experience would be appreciated.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 4:01 pm
Addict

Tie down procedure

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks- good reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:00 pm

Trailer a K12...? On/Off Centerstand?

Plenty of personal experience trailering my '03 K1200rs.

Re: Front area, I use soft ties and make a loop around the top of the fork (left and right) just above the front fender and angle the strap forward and connect to a ratchet tie down and compress the suspension about 50%. In back I use soft ties to a rear frame member, on the left, right near the hand grab for putting the bike on the centerstand. I would never tie to the bag supports, but that's just me.

Re: on the centerstand....no knowledge, only an opinion. If your trailer is a singe axle, while moving down the road, the entire trailer and bike will bounce over pot holes, railroad tracks, stepladders in the middle of the road, etc. So now, all the bumps you are hitting are transferring the impact to anything connected to the frame....electronics, engine, etc. Don't use the centerstand and let your bike's suspension do it's job.

Steve
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 9:52 am
Throttle Jockey

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 4:17 pm
Looking for better limits...

I think everyone trailers a bit differently, and regardless of the trailer gods intentions, they all pretty much work.

I have no wheel chock, but wouldn't pass up the opportunity to get one (one of these days).

I don't compress the suspension at all. Getting the bike on the center stand means you have room going forward for it to come off, or you have a heck of a time moving the bike forward to get it off the center stand once you're at your destination.

I tie the front forks with soft straps, with the left fork tied to the right trailer post and the right fork tied to the left trailer post. Level heighth, keeping the bike upright. Tying the opposite fork tube keeps the steering straight if the bike gets any side-to-side play. The back is tied from the frame to a side post, again keeping the straps as even/level as I can. The side posts do flex a little bit, but not a whole lot. I let the bike's suspension handle any suspension duties as needed, mainly because that's what the suspension is for. The straps are just there to keep the bike vertical and up against the front wall of the trailer.

No issues, trailered about three times, once for track-day duties. On a side note, I'd trailer again for track school/days, even though there're a couple of tracks easily within riding distance.

As for the OP...ride it back. And, not on 80, but 50.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:01 am

The procedures listed in earlier posts are good.
In your question you asked about the system case rails. NO, do NOT use them. I've trailered my RS a few times, I tie the front wheel solid like shown in the A&S file. In the rear I use soft ties around the frame. Do not use the footpeg bracket either, they will break!
If you don't have a wheel chock, and your traile has a wood floor, use some wood blocks to secure the front wheel. Check your tie downs after an innitial few mile, then regurlarly st fuel stops. Enjoy the RS!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:31 am

Keep it off the center stand. Let the bike's suspension work.

And ditto on the soft ties at the front forks and rear frame.

I also throw a strap over the seat with a towel folded up under the strap to protect the seat. I use 5 straps total.

you know.......you could just ride it back
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:07 pm

uh...trailor a GT? I dont think so. Its a touring bike. If you need to go somewhere .....ride that sucka!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:12 pm

Good tie points? Things to avoid? OK to tie to system case rails?
Do you like to compress the shocks? Or leave it a little loose/ On my Harleys- we did not like to compress too much- folklore was that it was not good for the shocks.

folklore is wrong....it is wise to compress grasshoppa....just dont bend the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode