Electronic v. manual Ohlins - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:36 am Thread Starter
JIS

Electronic v. manual Ohlins

The topic about replacement shocks has been “done to death” but I wonder if anyone here in the UK can vouch for this expensive add on. The problem I have is that I love the idea of much better stability but I have no way of proving it unless I wee to try a bike fitted with this kit?
I have to say that, whenever I approach 3 figures (on a German Autobahn of course), I find that I can get a minor wiggle from the front and a general sense of unease; I certainly wouldn’t want to change direction in a hurry!
With Ohlins fitted, what could I expect? Anyone in the SE of England want to show me ?!
Thanks

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 1:52 am Thread Starter
JIS

apologies all for posting this; with not a single reply I guess the topic is just past its sell-by date !!
cheers
John

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 2:56 am
Noob

I've been up to about 150 mph a few times, and everything seemed solid as the proverbial rock, except my helmet! With a tank bag, you can't tuck in low enough to get your helmet out of the wind. My helmet (Nolan n100e) was shaking like a dog shitting peach pits, so I couldn't see keeping with it any longer. As an aside, the bike seemed willing as hell to keep accelerating!
In fact, at the last track day, I had the opportunity to go to red line a lot, and I noticed something very interesting: the bike kept pulling harder and harder all the way up to red line, and felt like it was really starting to get downright rocket-like in the last 1k rpm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
apologies all for posting this; with not a single reply I guess the topic is just past its sell-by date !!
cheers
John
Holiday on this side of the pond, John! Yeah, it's just a Wednesday holiday, but people drift off early and come back late...

What tires and what pressure? I honestly can't fathom why a shock would cause a "wiggle" in the front end at speed. Not that I'm any suspension expert, but I do read a lot on the internet.

Now, if you were also in a corner and the middle of the bike felt like it was on a hinge, then I'd say up the pre-load on the rear. My first guess would be to try a different tire next tire change.

Personally, I won't buy/ride Bridgestones, as they like dancing with the rain-grooved pavement whereas the others (Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler) don't with me.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 1:41 pm

Check your tires. I had my bike up to triple digits with the stock suspension and it handled fine, no wiggles. I installed Ohlins and I noticed much better turning response, not much for the high speed striaght stuff.

The K12RS has a long wheel base, so I would be surprised that you develop a steering wiggle around 100-120 mph. The only times I have experience tank slap is when I'm going light speed while cresting a hilltop. Talk about a freaky feeling.
I think your steering wiggle is probably from your tires. What are you running and what pressure?

As for electric or manual ohlins supension, save the money and go with manual, unless you frequently change the preload setting.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:07 am Thread Starter
JIS

Hi chaps; sorry yes it was a holiday for "Y'all" on July 4th !

My tyres are Michelin Pilot Road2. The tyres pressure was at that recommended under the seat (I can't check it now 'cos I'm heading up towards the Arctic Circle on a cruise ships :wtf !)

However, because tyre pressure are quiote hard to check and "top up", I do temd to only have a proper check every month or so.

What tyre pressure SHOULD I be using in your opinion ?

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:54 am

Should? Well...here's what I'm using:
36-38 in the front
40-42 in the rear
Metzeler Z6 or Pirelli Diablo Stradas
Generally get close to 10k miles before replacement

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
The topic about replacement shocks has been “done to death” but I wonder if anyone here in the UK can vouch for this expensive add on. The problem I have is that I love the idea of much better stability but I have no way of proving it unless I wee to try a bike fitted with this kit?
I have to say that, whenever I approach 3 figures (on a German Autobahn of course), I find that I can get a minor wiggle from the front and a general sense of unease; I certainly wouldn’t want to change direction in a hurry!
With Ohlins fitted, what could I expect? Anyone in the SE of England want to show me ?!
Thanks
I do not feel these bikes are planted at 70+ either. They have a weave like a snake. Always felt it was design and wind shere. I run Piolet Sport in front and Pilot road in the rear at 42 - 42 per A&S instructions. Had Brigstones but A&S changed them over. I even had the service manager ride the bike at A&S and as i watched him, I saw the bike weave. However, when we got back, he stated it felt fine. This was after a 1000.00+ repair issue where they has to change both ball joints. I learned a lot about ball joints back then and tell anyone who has a weave or wobble problem to check out the resistance of each ball. If they are not close to each other, you will have aproblem. if they are somwhat close now but not real close, you will have a problem later. The resistance must be close to matched as you can get it. A&S checked every basll in stock andthen BMW sent them a matched pair for me.

I rode with another guy in CA who said he never had a problem with wobble or weave and then as we were come out of Placerville back to Sac, he was going down the grade and his bike started it. Not bad but enough for him to feel. Again, I feel it is design (that is if the balls are OK). I suscept his front got light coming down the hill from a slight frontal wind and his front start to act up.

JJCIII
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:47 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA1200
they has to change both ball joints
Well I can't say I actually understand where these joints are, but I will ask my BMW dealer when next we meet!

What I don't understand is that so many of this forum claim the bike to be "rock solid" at high speeds. I confess I have "played" witht he rear damping setting and haven't a clue about what else to "meddle" with ! So I leave well alone.

There appears to eb 3 things to set-up;

1. The rear (large screw) rear damping
2. a rear (tiny screw) shock adjustment (?)
3. front damping

I'd like an "idot's guide" to how these should be set up as the manula assumes that you already know why you should change them !

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
There appears to eb 3 things to set-up;

1. The rear (large screw) rear damping
2. a rear (tiny screw) shock adjustment (?)
3. front damping
Standard BMW shocks, correct? If so:
1 Large knob on the left side. Used for pre-load height adjustment.
2 Triangular knob on the bottom of the rear shock. Adjusts rebound damping
3 There is none. None for compression, none for rebound

Now, if you have Ohlins, all bets are off. I honestly haven't seen an Ohlins installation were I could look at all the bits. I have Wilbers, where there is a pre-load adjustment and rebound on the rear, and just rebound on the front. You might try the search function looking for "Suspension" and/or "Shocks". Some I've actually posted, so hopefully you forgive me if I don't go through it all again one more time.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode