Riding Position between the RS and the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 am Thread Starter

Riding Position between the RS and the GT

Hi everyone I'm new here.
I have a 98 RS and love it except for the slightly aggresive riding position on long trips.
Is the 03 or equal GT considerably more upright than the RS?
Would It be worth it for me to switch over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 1:33 am
Rookie

The 03 and up GT's have a fixed bar, non adjustable bar. The RS has an adjustable bar. The GT's bar position is almost the same as the RS in the most upright position. The benefit I see from the GT is better selection og barback kits for the GT. I just installed a set of Suburban Type 2 barbacks that are not offered for the RS. They bring the bars back 2 3/4" and up 1.1" if I remembr right but they also relieve the grip angle by 10 degrees. The other benefit to the GT is better windscreen protection for when you do sit more upright. I dont really think that you will find much benefit of a GT over an RS if you already own the RS. If you were just looking ot buy one and didnt own one, I would say buy the GT. I owned a 99 RS and I now own a 03 GT. The fairing on the 03 and the windshield are by far and away better if you ask me. I even had the tall windscreen on my 99 and the stock GT does 10x better if you ask me. Otherwise most items are the same. The GT has some extra fairing bits, an adjustable windscreen, heated seat, painted to match cases, cruise control and different bars and thats about it, otherwise it really is an RS.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:18 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
The other benefit to the GT is better windscreen protection for when you do sit more upright.
The one drawback to this is that when in the typical seated position the noise generated by the different wind flow has a louder sound. I change over to the taller screen in the winter months and the increased noise level, even with foam earplugs in place, is noticeable.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 5:53 pm

K1200 GT Barbacks

Hi to all,

I just took delivery on an 07 K1200 GT. The bars are already in the highest position. I would prefer a more upright riding position in order to relieve pressure on my wrists. Can anyone out there recommend specific aftermarket barbacks which would raise the bars and position them further back? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 5:59 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring55
Hi to all,

I just took delivery on an 07 K1200 GT. The bars are already in the highest position. I would prefer a more upright riding position in order to relieve pressure on my wrists. Can anyone out there recommend specific aftermarket barbacks which would raise the bars and position them further back? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dunno if it still applies to the 2nd Gen GT's, but the best advice on the 1st Gen bikes was to give it a month of riding to allow your core muscles to condition a bit, before making mods like lower pegs or bar backs. If you could adjust, then the bike rewarded you with better handling and ground clearance (and more money for other farkles).

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 1:59 am

Riding position on a K-RS

Hi:

IMHO, the riding position on a K1200RS is just about right for its intended purpose (movin' at the speed-o-heat).

I bought a '98 K1200RS from a pal, and very soon after I got it I ordered a set of later model handlebar mounts. After they came in, I retrofitted them to the bike. Rode around. Accumulated mileage. Eventually I actually moved the bars down one notch from fully to the rear.

Here is my recommendation. Plan a 400 mile ride. A loop, or just a cross-state boogie. Whatever. Start out early with a full tank of gas.

Go for the "tuck." Rest your stomach against the tank. Pull in your elbows. Let your abs do the work, until you get to cruising speed, around 85 or so, and then you will be in the zone. If the ride involves a steady-state sixth gear run, put the balls of your feet on the pegs and let your heels rest against the passenger peg frame gear.

Notch up the speed a little. Check six. Scan. Keep the elbows in. Watch the mirrors. Is that helicopter just flying around, or is that a bear-in-the-air?

Uh-oh, time to buy gas. Drink water. Whiz. Clean off bugs. Check the bike. Go.

Seeya
ATB
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 2:16 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
Hi:

IMHO, the riding position on a K1200RS is just about right for its intended purpose (movin' at the speed-o-heat).

I bought a '98 K1200RS from a pal, and very soon after I got it I ordered a set of later model handlebar mounts. After they came in, I retrofitted them to the bike. Rode around. Accumulated mileage. Eventually I actually moved the bars down one notch from fully to the rear.

Here is my recommendation. Plan a 400 mile ride. A loop, or just a cross-state boogie. Whatever. Start out early with a full tank of gas.

Go for the "tuck." Rest your stomach against the tank. Pull in your elbows. Let your abs do the work, until you get to cruising speed, around 85 or so, and then you will be in the zone. If the ride involves a steady-state sixth gear run, put the balls of your feet on the pegs and let your heels rest against the passenger peg frame gear.

Notch up the speed a little. Check six. Scan. Keep the elbows in. Watch the mirrors. Is that helicopter just flying around, or is that a bear-in-the-air?

Seeya
ATB
And that, folks, is it in a nutshell...ymmv

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Hi to all,

Then you should have ordered an LT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
Hi:

Seeya
ATB
Agreed!

Although, I prefer to rest my feet on the rear passenger pegs while in a full tuck, which provides a better body position. Can't strain enough about checking your six and slowing down near over passes and cresting hills.

Last edited by Pathogen7; Jul 9th, 2007 at 9:56 pm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:52 am

Quote:
Hi to all,

Next Gen bikes have different handlebars... (and a different forum) but nothing will serve you better than learning "Master Yoda's" riding technique. I read it it when I first got my bike and thought to myself..."Huh? They're kidding..."

15000 miles this year...and I'm a believer. My back even feels better at work!!

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Glad to hear some of you have achieved peace with the riding position.

Anyone with a set of the American Machine Bar Backs- please let me know- I'm interested.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode