Staintune $$$ price Increase - wtf? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Question Staintune $$$ price Increase - wtf?

Anybody else notice the HUGE increase in the price of a Staintune exhaust for the K12RS/GT in the past few weeks? They went from around $1400 to nearly $1900.. that's almost two grand... close to $500 in one jump! I had been 'watching' the 'net for these for a while now, waiting for the price to drop... instead I saw them leap upwards! Fortunately, I found a large online retailer who still offered them at their 'old' price of $1416 so I bit the bullet and bought one, all along hoping the order wouldn't be rejected... well, I just received it today via FedEx Home delivery wouldn't you know... I'm not so sure the retailer made any money on the deal since it was obviously shipped from CBT Imports to them before it was sent to me and the invoice label from CBT Imports was still on the box... Still, at over $1400 to drop the CAT... it's a bit steep, but hopefully worth the 'investment'... Anybody who's got them want to chime in with your experiences, good or bad, with this magical set o' pipes? Recent installation tips would be particularly welcome... Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:17 pm
Looking for better limits...

Staytune reduces prices afterwards

Pirate, in his "Cheesy Newsletter", mentioned the steep hike, then the not-as-steep reduction. Apparently they're reconsidering their prices faced with reality. Scroll down to the "What's new at Pirate's Lair" section, about 3/4 of the way down.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:17 pm

The almighty greenback is falling in relation to other currencies. Good news for folks in other places but bad news if you are in the U.S. and importing products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Pirate, in his "Cheesy Newsletter", mentioned the steep hike, then the not-as-steep reduction. Apparently they're reconsidering their prices faced with reality. Scroll down to the "What's new at Pirate's Lair" section, about 3/4 of the way down.

Thanks! I hadn't been to Pirate's site since he left for the Biltmore rally... even Pirate is selling these now for $1700, special order only... and add another 6% if you want to use your credit card... guess I really lucked out by jumping on the deal when I did...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
The almighty greenback is falling in relation to other currencies. Good news for folks in other places but bad news if you are in the U.S. and importing products.

Our Aussie dollar is on a roll, a 20 year high compared to the US dollar, the yen even the Euro - good for us when we buy imported goods but harder for us selling our stuff O/S.

Staintune products are expensive over here as well, but still cheaper than US/ European pipes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:08 pm
Enthusiast

Staintune price increase.

All I can say is I hope you plan on removing the exhaust when you sell the bike to recoup some of your investment.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:30 pm
Veteran

No doubt they've discovered the BMW GT muffler is $1500 and adjusted their prices upward to reflect that.

If the BMW stock muffler cost only $400 do you think they would have jumped that high? I don't.

BMW parts prices are way out of line - no matter what exchange rate is used.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
All I can say is I hope you plan on removing the exhaust when you sell the bike to recoup some of your investment.
Sell my bike? ... wash your mouth out with soap! haha ... yea, I always keep the stock parts laying around to put it back to stock trim ... besides, the resale market for BMW farkles is very strong... I got roughly 80% back on my 'investments' in stuff I took off of my previous bike, an R1150GS, before I traded it in on my current KGT... btw, 'investment' was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek expression... the trade-off in resale loss is more than outweighed by the enjoyment of the item, as long as you don't 'invest' in useless junk, imo...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
BMW parts prices are way out of line - no matter what exchange rate is used.
If you think BMW prices are bad you should see what Triumph charge!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 6:59 am
Just saying hey

Shipping a Staintune System

Here's a caveat to those who find a used ST system - don't let the seller ship the components uncovered in loose styrofoam peanuts!

When I opened the shipping carton, I noticed that dozens of the peanuts were stuck to the header and can. They wouldn't brush off, and when pulled off left a residue stuck to the metal. It looked like the peanuts had melted onto hot components - but how would you ever get the system off the bike and packed while it was still hot? Did the carton get hot in transit? Maybe it was some kind of weird chemical reaction.

Anyway, I was not able to remove the crusty residue with any type of solvent - acetone, paint stripper, WD-40, alcohol, etc., heated or not. Forget Mother's - had to use a buffing wheel and coarse compound to get the metal clean. Then, a lot of finish buffing to restore the shine.

Huge PITA (but, Jeez, the price was right!).

04 K12GT, 99 K12RS, 98 916, 91 R100GSPD, 87 R80G/S, 74 850 Commando, 69 XLH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode