Extended Warranty - rip-off or what? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 2:05 am Thread Starter
JIS

Extended Warranty - rip-off or what?

My 2003 K1200GT was bought with extended warranty which included European breakdown cover - it expires July 13th. BMW contacted me and proposed renewal for a further 12 months for ..... 659 (that's over $1300!). Keeping calm I read and re-read the small print. Basically BMW will cover you for claims which are due to manufacturing defect ONLY. Since the bike is now entering its fifth year, with 18500 miles on the clock, it is evident to all that, as time passes the likelihood and opportunities for warranty claims diminish as 'normal wear and tear' takes over. Any warranty claims would surely have surfaced by now.

This was evident even to the helpful young man from BMW financial services; he agreed with me that that the premium should reduce each year as the risk (to BMW) will reduce steeply each year. But no, they have increased the cost from 250 to 659 !!

Can any of you explain BMW's rationale? I mean, if they had been offering me insurance against ANY fault (with certain conditions such as non crash accident, regular servicing etc) then this may have been a good deal. As it stands, it's rubbish as I could find no reasonable way in which I could claim against the policy ! (Even the BMM guy had to agree that "no way does it provide you with peace of mind). :wtf

cheers

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 3:57 am
Addict

some comments

most third party warranty companies in us are independent, and u can purchase directly from them. i just bought 5 extra yrs on my '04kgt with 35k miles for $1250, including seals and abs. my company was pinnacle, but there are many out there. get some help from your friend google on this one. good luck
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 5:17 am Thread Starter
JIS

Nice one Bill; what i would really like is a policy which covers me for all faults; that way I will actually have peace of mind ! I'll let Google help me !
cheers

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2007, 5:44 am
Veteran

Usually, it only provides "peace of mind" if you don't read the fine print to see what is covered.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 1:52 pm

For 650pounds that will cover just about any major repair you will probably come across in the coming year. I suggest save the cash!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:02 pm

I would not suggest wasting any money on extended warranties...odds are you'll never need them.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 5:06 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
most third party warranty companies in us are independent, and u can purchase directly from them. i just bought 5 extra yrs on my '04kgt with 35k miles for $1250, including seals and abs. my company was pinnacle, but there are many out there. get some help from your friend google on this one. good luck
Careful....these are not really "warrantees", they are service contracts, covering failures due/related to manufacturer defect, not failures due to normal wear.
An extended warranty is good (IMO) if you're a high mileage rider. 18500 miles in 5 years doesn't qualify so I wouldn't extend it if I were you. I have 60,000 miles in 3 years (2 years to go) and I STILL haven't had to use it, although I do appreciate the peace of mind, as I will most likely be over 100,000 before the "warranty" expires.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 6:51 am
Addict

true dat

ditto dat, dog. my '04kgt is just 2yrs old, has 36k miles already. my 5 yr extended will more than likely take me to 150k miles. i needs it!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 2:48 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
ditto dat, dog. my '04kgt is just 2yrs old, has 36k miles already. my 5 yr extended will more than likely take me to 150k miles. i needs it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya need to kick it up a notch ,dog!....ya got 5 years to ride 124,000 miles...that's about 25,000 a year!...

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 6:08 pm
Veteran

Smile

You guys are killing me.
My 03' just turned 18k and I am starting to wonder about final drive failures while out of warrentee.
Looks like I spent the 1k when i bought it for nothing. But that is only because I did not have to use it.

JJCIII

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode