new owner....what mods!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

new owner....what mods!!

Hi all....just bought a 2002 RS...now the fun begins!! the bike is stock so what is the groups opinion on the best mod? best bang for the buck? or should I just drive it and be happy!!
CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Rookie

From what I can tell, a Rhinewest chip is the best bang for the buck.

I went another route and got a Remus Ti exhaust (and my gf got me the chip for our anniversary!)

The RW chip is supposed to increase your fuel economy, increase throttle response, and add power. Most dramatic results are on an otherwise stock bike.

Sounds good to me.

2010 Street Glide
2007 DRZ400S
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 12:26 am

I just recently purchased a RS as well. I have been adding a few mods/maintenance. Started by changing out the O2 sensor which was a big improvement in my case. I have installed the Brake! brake light module which is pretty trick. Just got and will be installing a headlight modulator, turn signal cancellation relay (has lots of other functions as well.), and louder horns. I also found that a couple of seals on the shifter linkage were pretty dessicated so I changed those out. The rubber sleeve on the shifter was pretty loose and was missing some bushings. Changed out the footpeg rubber pads and I changed out the handlebar grips as they were a bit worn. Will be performing a little maintenance along the way on doing some of the installations. When I was installing the handlebar grips I found out that the throttle cable was out of adjustment. Adjusting the cable was another notable plus.

Later next week I will be taking it to an independent mechanic who will give the bike a good going over. Will address issues with a leaking crankcase breather tube and check to see that work that was done at a dealer was actually taken care of, (the bike had a 12K service, new tires, new brakes, one month before I purchased it.) After that the Wilbers shocks should be in and will be installed, as the stock ones are probably shot.

Other than that I am not anticipating anything else. I am more interested in initially making sure that the bike is up to snuff with all maintenance and is in overall good condtion - at least verified by a professional.

Pretty much after all of that I still need a good tail bag/luggage rack, the PIAA lights would be nice with the switch module that uses the turn signal cancellation button, stainless steel brake lines are intriguing, maybe the Hyperpro steering damper (if the stock one is bad) and the Rhinewest Cam & Chip kits is somewhat appealing, though I wonder what kind of long term effect it would have on the engine and reliability. I am not interested in an aftermarket exhaust as I like how quiet the stock system is. i Have not ridden the bike on long enough of a ride to come to some conclusion about the seat (a common mod) though it will have to be replaced at some point in time. If the stock seat is relatively comfortable I would probably just replace it, otherwise the Sargent seats look nice - don't care for the looks of the Corbins. Other than small little items/accessories that would be about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 12:53 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlizzard
Hi all....just bought a 2002 RS...now the fun begins!! the bike is stock so what is the groups opinion on the best mod? best bang for the buck? or should I just drive it and be happy!!
CJ
Seriously?

Radar detector
GPS
Driving lights

In that order...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 6:24 am
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Seriously?

Radar detector
GPS
Driving lights

In that order...
Almost.............

A good-looking blonde passenger should top the list,
although one can substitute a redhead if need be.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 8:01 am

Radar detector...really? I've always found that motorcycles(especially this one) are a hard target for a cops radar gun. They pretty much have to hit your headlight reflector to get any type of accurate reading. Very stealthy are the GT's. I've always found that worrying about getting a ticket sort of spoils the fun of the ride for me. I dont use them...never will. Waste of money and they are annoying to my eyes and ears. Driving lights are a good idea...in fact great idea. Visibility is a safety issue...you want those cages to see you even in the daytime...which is when most of us ride anyway. Then at night....they can come in pretty handy to I suppose...although I try not to ride at night if I can help it. If you really want to spend money on your bike.......spend it in gas, oil, and tires.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 9:12 am
Addict

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 9:33 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogypsy
... I've always found that motorcycles(especially this one) are a hard target for a cops radar gun. They pretty much have to hit your headlight reflector to get any type of accurate reading. Very stealthy are the GT's.

I got lit up with instant-on around a curve. The LEO was coming the other way and wasn't able to "aim." The logic might work with LIDAR, but radar works great on the GT.

So does a stop watch and timing marks... which means the Radar Detector is not as useful as you might think.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:35 am
Addict

I would suggest the following:
1. Install a good set of after market shocks. BMW shocks are not very good.
2. Install more lights.
3. Install and use a radar / laser detector. Those radar guns will get you in the pocket.
4. Get the GT windshield for better wind protection in cooler weather.
5. Louder horn. I got one for 12 bucks at Harbour tools.
6. Handle grips, I use tennis racket grip tape, I found some from Wilson that have padding. the grip heater stills works fine with the tape.
7. Good grade wheel lock. So the bad guys don't get your bike. I use a cable lock.
8. A very good set of full protection clothing. boots, pants, jack, gloves, full face helmet.
You will go down, you just don't know when.
9. Health and Disability insurance. If you get hurt don't be a burden to others.
10. If you need more HP change the Exhaust, We all need more HP.
11. HAVE FUN.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlizzard
.. or should I just drive it and be happy!!
Unless your rich...lol...ride for a while. Be Happy!

After a few rides... you'll come back one day and say, "I wish I had ..(whatever).."

Then spend money!

Welcome and enjoy!

(You and I have the best year bike... 2002 )

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode