My new ride - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:11 am Thread Starter

My new ride

Hi Everyone:

I researched this site quite extensively before buying my GT. I am really happy with it so far. I had to take it to the dealer to see about getting the chip replaced under warranty because of the cold start problem on the 04, but other than that it's a damn nice ride. Everyone say hello to Sarah...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
Everyone say hello to Sarah...

Where's Sarah? Who is she... your s/o? oh, no ... wait... you didn't just introduce your new motorcycle by 'name' in the first person, did you? aaargh!

Ok, time to hijack a thread.... (my first hijack on k-bikes.com!!) Poll time... how many of you 'name' your rides? Worse, how many of you who name your rides think it has a 'personality' of its own and think of it as 'alive'?

me? my BMW (a K1200GT also) is a fine example of Teutonic mechanical engineering... it's a friggin' TOOL fer cryin' out loud... a bit more complicated than your average hammer, I'll give you that... but it has every bit of the 'soul' and 'personality' of a fine Swiss watch... which is to say... NONE !! Whatever pleasure is derived from it's use is a direct reflection of the USER's personality and character, not that of the machine... imho.

Ok, that's my $.02 ... what say you?

Oh, btw... nice ride you got there, barnburner...!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:25 pm

Barnburner, congratulations on your "new" bike purchase. She's a beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradnik
Where's Sarah? Who is she... your s/o? oh, no ... wait... you didn't just introduce your new motorcycle by 'name' in the first person, did you? aaargh!

Ok, time to hijack a thread.... (my first hijack on k-bikes.com!!) Poll time... how many of you 'name' your rides? Worse, how many of you who name your rides think it has a 'personality' of its own and think of it as 'alive'?

me? my BMW (a K1200GT also) is a fine example of Teutonic mechanical engineering... it's a friggin' TOOL fer cryin' out loud... a bit more complicated than your average hammer, I'll give you that... but it has every bit of the 'soul' and 'personality' of a fine Swiss watch... which is to say... NONE !! Whatever pleasure is derived from it's use is a direct reflection of the USER's personality and character, not that of the machine... imho.

Ok, that's my $.02 ... what say you?

Motorradnik, what's with the hostility? The hijack should've been a new thread so you're not raining on Barnburner's parade...imho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPECT
Motorradnik, what's with the hostility? The hijack should've been a new thread so you're not raining on Barnburner's parade...imho.
Hostility? No hostilty from here, just an opinion... unless the 'hijack' can be viewed as a hostile take-over... in which case, my apologies to barnburner, nothing personal... like I said, he's got himself a nice ride there....

so... what'dya name your bike?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:35 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradnik
Where's Sarah?
You needs to unnerstand that some bikes speak to their owner, which generally includes a name. Mine is one of those that has yet to speak to me, but none-the-less is a great ride all around. I've spoken to the bike at times, and I know that he/she/it listens...

It's like that little bell that keeps the road gremlins away from the bike. Some claim they're as effective as deer whistles, while others swear up and down they're the cause of potholes where the gremlins lost their grip and hit the pavement. Then, there's those few that give and receive the bells only for the significance of the friendship and camraderie it carries...YMMV

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Last edited by Razel; Jul 6th, 2007 at 1:41 pm.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 1:39 pm

never named my K12R, but i do refer to it as a she. my friend named his GT "chance" and i think it's a fine name for the bike. the only bike i've ever named was my vespa "cecilia" - she got around, so it was fitting.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
You needs to unnerstand that some bikes speak to their owner, which generally includes a name. Mine is one of those that has yet to speak to me, but none-the-less is a great ride all around. I've spoken to the bike at times, and I know that he/she/it listens...

It's like that little bell that keeps the road gremlins away from the bike. Some claim they're as effective as deer whistles, while others swear up and down they're the cause of potholes where the gremlins lost their grip and hit the pavement. Then, there's those few that give and receive the bells only for the significance of the friendship and camraderie it carries...YMMV
Oh, I understand the concept all right, I just don't subscribe to it ...

to me, riding is a CRAFT, a set of skills to be constantly honed to perfection, the machine I choose to operate while doing so is the means to put those skills to work... nothing more, nothing less... the enjoyment of it all is in mastering the techniques and the machine...

my question, since you've brought it up, is how many in the on-line BMW community subscribe to these motorcycle-related 'obsessions' and/or 'superstitions'?

I mean.. I do a 'saftey check' walk around my bike before and after every ride... but I don't pretend to sprinkle 'fairy-dust' while doing so...

Last edited by motorradnik; Jul 6th, 2007 at 2:43 pm.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Welcome! I don't think you'll be sorry.

My bike (Ralph) and I would ride with you and Sarah anytime.

Again, Congrats... she looks good.

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 3:33 pm

A real beaut!

A little goo gone and a plastic putty knife will take those stickers right off!

Ride hard, ride safe!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheAffable
My bike (Ralph) and I would ride with you and Sarah anytime.
hey... maybe if Sarah and Ralph hit it off you guys could end up w/ a new X-Moto or something! .... oooh, wait... there's that sticky 'who-gets-the-custody' issue... oh well, never mind... (just kidding!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode