Lets Get a Grip on The Handlebar Questions... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Lets Get a Grip on The Handlebar Questions...

Over at the A & S website they are showing these handlebar risers: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2498

Looks like they would work on the early model RS's... any one have any experience with them?

Next- over at Pirates Lair he shows these barbacks:http://piratesk12site.net/ambb.htm

Experience?

Now- what if I used the Risers and the AmMa barbacks together? Possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 9:38 am

First...what is the reason that you need to change your handlebars? Second...changing from the stock configuration will affect your handling. It might end up being more work to steer the bike.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

The '98s were known to be the most aggressive seating position.

I am not a sport bike-style rider. I think it will be far more comfortable if I move the grips up and back, and I don't care all that much for the last increment of sporty handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 1:25 pm
Rookie

I had the Pirates' ones on my KRS. They're machined nicely and let your hands be in a more level position, similar to dirt bike bars. I think they're of good quality, and the cut-out for the throttle cable is a nice touch.

I had to remove all the zip-ties holding the wires and cables under the tupperware so as to not restrict handlebar movement.

I don't think longer bar backs would have worked at all on my bike without extensive work to fix cable routing.

2010 Street Glide
2007 DRZ400S
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear that you dont like sport bikes....you're on one. Maybe an RT or KLT or even a GS might be a better fit for you.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Many thanks to JC. I have hear good things about the AmMa barbacks. In fact Jerry himself recommended them to me. I am certain I will get some, just wondering if RISERS would help as well.

Motogypsy- seems as if you have strong feelings on the matter. I am pretty new to all this, only having my first bike in 1957... with a practically unbroken string of them since. I have formed some pretty clear opinions about what is comfortable for me.

It would appear as if we have different approaches. Perhaps some other time you will have some input relative to my question.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 6:23 pm
Rookie

hopz:

You will like the bar backs. I have put them on my GT (different to the '98 RS) and I like them a lot, no effect on handling noticed. You may also want to investigate the footpeg droppers that the Pirate sells, also improves the ergos for us old guys. I wanted my GT to be an RT with KRS performance, and this is the only way to do that, you cannot make an RT run like a K bike!

You will have to remove all of the tupperware and the fuel tank to get the slack in the wiring you will require, also you may have to replace the front brake line from the handlebar with a longer one, I did.

Good luck with it and ask all the questions you want, this is a great forum!

Bob
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Barbacks are for really old farts who cant admit that they are on the WRONG bike. If you cant ride a sport bike anymore...just do yourself a favor and admit that you need to quit.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 6:51 pm

or go to the cruiser class!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2007, 7:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
Over at the A & S website they are showing these handlebar risers: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2498

Looks like they would work on the early model RS's... any one have any experience with them?

Next- over at Pirates Lair he shows these barbacks:http://piratesk12site.net/ambb.htm

Experience?

Now- what if I used the Risers and the AmMa barbacks together? Possible?
I don't believe you can mechanically make a combination of both the risers AND barbacks or possibly not be able use the risers on a KRS.

After guessing at the above answer. I can say that I have American Machine 30mm. barbacks on a '04KRS and couldn't be happier. And an '04 has different stubs than an earlier model.

30mm. is the limit you can go without changing brake lines on an '04 and I would imagine the same would be true for an earlier bike. I was able to get enough slack in my wiring without removing any plastic.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode