new owner...aftermarket exhaust/chip - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

new owner...aftermarket exhaust/chip

SO....I just purchased a 1999 K12RS. I am extremely happy with it. The only thing I miss from my previous motorcycle is the sound/exhaust. Curious what opinions are out there in regards to brand of exhaust; whether a can is sufficient or the entire exhaust system is a must; Is a chip a must (if so what brand?); what's the effect on fuel economy, horse power, torque, etc with the mentioned modifications.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Billymac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymac
SO....I just purchased a 1999 K12RS. I am extremely happy with it. The only thing I miss from my previous motorcycle is the sound/exhaust. Curious what opinions are out there in regards to brand of exhaust; whether a can is sufficient or the entire exhaust system is a must; Is a chip a must (if so what brand?); what's the effect on fuel economy, horse power, torque, etc with the mentioned modifications.

Thanks in advance for any input...

Billymac
Billymac,

The prev-gen K bikes, like your KRS, have a single-piece exhaust .. header/catalytic converter/silencer are all-in-one. Popular options for replacement are:

Staintune (my recent personal choice)
Remus
Two Bros
Ztechnik

Chip options are available from Rhinewest and Ztechnik, and are generally only needed it you want to maximize the performance of an 'open' pipe like the two-bros. Loads of good info available on this site as well as on i-bmw.com good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:54 pm
Enthusiast

I've had both the Remus and TwoBros exhaust on my 02 K1200RS. Both are great, and if you're used to motorcycles sounding like motorcycles, you'll love either one. The Remus is more sedate and metallic sounding, while the TwoBros is louder and deeper. I prefer the TwoBros. Both the Remus and TwoBros were full exhaust systems. Whatever you choose consider having the headers coated with Jet Hot. http://www.jet-hot.com/ JetHot makes a significant difference in the mid range performance. My riding buddy tried it first and he pulled me badly in the mid range rpm's. I got mine coated shortly after that embarrassment. Now we run even. We both have the sterling coating, but they now offer a Sterling Extreme that I'd go for now. Makes the whole system look a lot better too IMO.

I have a RhineWest chip. Not any significant difference in performance that I can see. Put your money in the coating. Others seem to like the chip, but for me it does nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust1small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	5546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:22 pm
Noob

two bros exhaust

i also have and 03 gt, faster blue, and two bros pipe and chipped, sounds great- gets attention of cell phone driving suv'ers.

i've had it dynoed and got 127.9 hp and 82. something torque getting @41-42 mph on the gas.

not to change the subject, but what kind of seat was that in the last post?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:27 pm
Looking for better limits...

Just a small note about Two-Bros. One installed on a bike (GT) then headed out to the SSR in Vermont this year.

He managed to get to the SSR hotel rather late, once the fire was out and a replacement cargo box was acquired to make up for the lost left case. No word yet on why, or how much the repair is going to cost.

I'll dig up the details if interested in more...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:27 pm

My Kbike is my fourth BMW, three were R series. I've had one 2-bros on the RT, one Remus with Teclusion on the GS and current Remus Titanium with a Teclusion to be installed on my current GS. My Kbike has Remus Titanium.

My experiences with the Remus are superior to the 2-bros but they have all been better than stock, IMHO.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for the opinions/advice. Much appreciated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:15 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnews41
i also have and 03 gt, faster blue, and two bros pipe and chipped, sounds great- gets attention of cell phone driving suv'ers.

i've had it dynoed and got 127.9 hp and 82. something torque getting @41-42 mph on the gas.

not to change the subject, but what kind of seat was that in the last post?

Sargent. Great seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode