Looking to buy 2004 K1200GT - Any Issues??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Looking to buy 2004 K1200GT - Any Issues???

Hello, I'm new to this site and have been a RT guy for a number of years. I'm currently riding a 2002 R1150RT and thinking of a switch to a K1200GT. Two questions, are there any issues with the first year 2004 GT's I should be aware of?

Second, I'm primarily a long distance touring guy and can seldom get out without my wife tagging along. The RT is a great two-up ride and has always been terrific touring bike with loads of storage space with three bags. How do you "GT" guys rate your bikes for multi-state touring and general commuting? Any feedback would be welcome.......

JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 1:16 pm

Any body with a handle like caddis has to be a fly fisherman- like myself.

I came off an R1100R, not exactly an RT, but I can tell you, you will be impressed with the power. The handling is great. The storage is similar, if similarly equipped. You will miss the radio if you had one, and dash storage. All the rest is great. As for first year problems- remember that this bike IS the RS, which was in production late 96... only difference is the fairing.
Did I mention the power?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis1
Second, I'm primarily a long distance touring guy and can seldom get out without my wife tagging along. The RT is a great two-up ride and has always been terrific touring bike with loads of storage space with three bags. How do you "GT" guys rate your bikes for multi-state touring and general commuting? Any feedback would be welcome.......

JB
Not many issues with the K12GT. The only troubling issue was an set of defective ECU's that were replaced under a selective recall. Not all the bikes were effected, but ask the owner if he knew about the issue and had it dealt with. If the bike idles properly (~1k), then it should be fine. The bad ECU mapping gave issues on cold start ups, but after it was warm the bike ran great.
Depending on how the milage and how aggresive you ride. You might want to replace the stock suspension aroun 24k miles. Some riders opt to install ohlins or wilbers, which are little more expensive, but the ride is simply transformed.

As for packing - I travel light and solo, so I have never ran into problems packing up everything. Plus it sounds like you have a top case, which probably can be fitted to the K12GT.

I say buy the bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 2:53 pm

I just got my 04 GT and love it. It's by far the smoothest bike I have ever had in 30+ years of riding. Wouldn't trade or sell it for anything. There are a few minor issues it does seem though. Mine seems to run a little hot if you are doing anything under 40 mph and the cold starting issue. Right now, I am looking into ways to get the temperature down more under the 40 mph range.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Don't worry about the high temperature issue. Once the fans kick in, the bike will be fine. As for the cold start issue. Talk with your local service manager and get a new ECU installed. BMWNA should cover the expense as a warrenty. I just read someone else on the board just had their ECU replaced for no charge. It might be worth doing a search and talking with them.

ONON-
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
I just got my 04 GT and love it. It's by far the smoothest bike I have ever had in 30+ years of riding. Wouldn't trade or sell it for anything. There are a few minor issues it does seem though. Mine seems to run a little hot if you are doing anything under 40 mph and the cold starting issue. Right now, I am looking into ways to get the temperature down more under the 40 mph range.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Smile

hopz, you're right on about the fly fishing. That's been my #1 thing next to riding for many years....

Just like any kid looking at new toys, I've scoured everything I could find on-line. I appreciate the feed back from all of you and I’ve found it’s been hard finding any real negative chatter on this bike. I do have a couple additional questions:

• I have a top case for my RT at this time. I’ve spotted an OEM bracket that adapts the RT box to the GT. Is there a part number for this? Or, are there other BMW case options that have worked well for you…..
• I currently own a ZUMO that’s mounted to a RCU shelf on my RT. The GT RTU shelf looks to block a rider’s line of sight to L & R gauges on the dash. Is there a better setup for the GPS mount?
• I also have a full size Big Mak Explorer tank bag on my RT. Any of you guys running with this type tank bag?

As you can tell I like a fair amount of storage and the Mak tank bag has been one of the best quick release tank bags I’ve had on any of my bikes.

Hey, thanks to all again! Can’t wait to check this bike out tomorrow……
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 4:40 pm

caddis, well not only am I another fly fisher, I am a zumo guy too. In fact I am one of the two moderators over at the zumo550 forums...

Anyone with zumo issues can reach me over there, or here... with questions.

As for mounting options- apparently there are many, but I have not found mine yet.

There is a RAM Stem Mount with 1" Ball that "they" claim will fit (somehow) into the stem nut- under that silver dollar sized cover... but I have not yet been convinced that will work.

There are some really neat installations that require drilling the top tripple tree, but I am NOT gonna do that- no way Jose'.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Talk with your local service manager and get a new ECU installed. BMWNA should cover the expense as a warrenty.
Going in the shop this Wednesday
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2007, 5:42 am
Addict

check for seals?

check the service records to see if seals have been replaced on the kgt. my '04 has had both clutch and main seals replaced under warranty. the total job was over $2000!!! i personally think bmw should have had a recall on these bikes that yr, but wtf, if they fail, they fail. look for misting at bellhousings, it means seals are seeping. other than that, bike has been perfect!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 2007, 9:12 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis1
hopz, you're right on about the fly fishing. That's been my #1 thing next to riding for many years....

Just like any kid looking at new toys, I've scoured everything I could find on-line. I appreciate the feed back from all of you and I’ve found it’s been hard finding any real negative chatter on this bike. I do have a couple additional questions:

• I have a top case for my RT at this time. I’ve spotted an OEM bracket that adapts the RT box to the GT. Is there a part number for this? Or, are there other BMW case options that have worked well for you…..
• I currently own a ZUMO that’s mounted to a RCU shelf on my RT. The GT RTU shelf looks to block a rider’s line of sight to L & R gauges on the dash. Is there a better setup for the GPS mount?
• I also have a full size Big Mak Explorer tank bag on my RT. Any of you guys running with this type tank bag?

As you can tell I like a fair amount of storage and the Mak tank bag has been one of the best quick release tank bags I’ve had on any of my bikes.

Hey, thanks to all again! Can’t wait to check this bike out tomorrow……
"The Gadget Guy" makes a nice above-dash mount setup for the Zumo. If you get all the parts, I think it's around $150 or so, but it doesn't block the gauges, and doesn't block the view of the road too much.

Take a look here:

http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGaller...above_dash.htm

Top case mount can be found here (hope you know someone that reads French):

http://www.recchia-motos.com/recchianew/index.php

2010 Street Glide
2007 DRZ400S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode