New to site have a question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2007, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

New to site have a question

Hi all, came across this site tonight and as I have just bought a 2005 K1200GT thought I would sign up.

After having bikes for 26 years this is my first BMW. I have to say first impressions are very good and I am actually in France with it now and off down to the Pyrennes on the 21st for a long weekend. I also have a Hayabusa which I normally tour on but have decided it need to sit upright a bit more!!! Will keep hold of Busa for now but am looking forward to my first outing.

I do have a question and have searched this site for an answer, re warranties. Mine is up in August and have had the letter re. 659 renewal which is ludicrous.

I saw a post from Dibbley I think it was in Ramsbottom saying it is only 400 Ozzy dollars so I had a look at the BMW Oz site and sure enough it is.

Has anyone purchased a warranty from Oz for their UK bike and is the BMW warranty international???? If it is I may well buy from Oz but certainly not from UK dealers.

Would like to hear comments re. the Ozzy warranty.

I am going to give a dealer in Oz a call to see what they say.

Cheers for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 12:26 am
JIS

Hello Nige; welcome. You're a way from me in Skipton but you've come to the right place for info. regarding your question, I posted the same enquiry recently, please see http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10312

I too was quoted this ludicrous amount and it's clear that BMW simply aren't interested in providing this type of insurance any more.

Great choice of bike enjoy !

cheers

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 3:38 am Thread Starter

Hi John.

Thanks for the welcome and link to your previous post. I had seen yours and another one by Dibbley in Ramsbottom who had mentioned the fact that if the BMW warranty is a truly International one that you could buy it from Oz for about 160!

I have emailed BMW asking if their warranty is an International one that includes both the mechanical and the breakdown cover. I will let you know their reply.

You never mentioned if you took out an alternative warranty, have you sorted one or taken the view that the bike should be sound?

I am visiting a friend in the Pyrennes who used to own a motorcycle shop and he is going to give me the name of a company he used for warranties who are supposed to offer good cover for a reasonable price. Will keep you posted.

I am looking forward to doing a long run on the bike but will have to forget my other bike is a hayabusa because I know I am going to be dissapointed with the performance if I don't!!! But I know I will arrive in comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:51 pm
JIS

Hello Nige;

No I haven't taken out anyother form of extended warranty as a) I haven't found one and b) I canot see how I could possibly claim under a "warranty" even if I did. Now, insurance against all forms of mechanical failure, and I'm interested. So, yes I've taken the view that, with respect to warranty work, I can go no further. Do make sure that you have international (European) breakdown cover; at 109 pa that seems reasonable and well worth it; especially with your trip coming up.

As for being disappointed with the performance, I'm not sure how that could be. I have also had an extended ride on a K1200S which is probably pretty close to your hiyabusa, but for all sane speeds and acceleration of public roads, the K1200GT is extremely fast IMHO

Good luck and yes, please keep me informed if you find a decent deal.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode