Need to get a grip! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Need to get a grip!

Speaking of grips.....has anyone tried to remove the rubber grips and replace with some other type of material..(heated).....the rubber is killing me!.....i normally use gloves...but on those hot days i like to ride without them...I know...atgatt...but talking real world...was thinking of something like sport grip tape with holes in it...that would hold up to the heat from the heated grips....i did see where someone removed the rubber grip and replaced with non heated gips so as not to have to purchase the whole assembly.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Enthusiast

Milkman wrapped his grips with tennis grips and got good results. Variety of different wraps available at most sporting goods stores.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 4:12 am
Veteran

How about some grip puppies for about $8.20? Just slide them over the stock grips.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...Code=Hand-Cont

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:22 am
Enthusiast

Get a grip!

I've been removing heated grip covers for years. The latest grip type is the most difficult, but heat is the answer. A long ride with the grips on high will frequently soften the glue enough to get the grips sliding around, or careful work with a heat gun. Once the original covers are off, you can install the grip of your choice. The only problem is that you need two throttle-sized grips. I you want to run foam grips, they're inexpensive enough to buy two sets and throw away the smaller grips.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
Speaking of grips.....has anyone tried to remove the rubber grips and replace with some other type of material..(heated).....the rubber is killing me!.....i normally use gloves...but on those hot days i like to ride without them...I know...atgatt...but talking real world...was thinking of something like sport grip tape with holes in it...that would hold up to the heat from the heated grips....i did see where someone removed the rubber grip and replaced with non heated gips so as not to have to purchase the whole assembly.....
I ride in the southwest where it's a little hotter than in NH. Why don't you try MX fabric gloves when it's hot? I also use mesh-backed work gloves from WallyWorld. Trying these ideas might save you a lot of grief messing with your stock grips.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:08 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
How about some grip puppies for about $8.20?
I bought several pairs of these from this outfit and they work really well. Gives a little more diameter to the grip (the small diameter of the stockers made my throttle hand hurt) and the heat only takes a little longer to pass through. They also look nice, an added bonus.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:37 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54089093
I've been removing heated grip covers for years. The latest grip type is the most difficult, but heat is the answer. A long ride with the grips on high will frequently soften the glue enough to get the grips sliding around, or careful work with a heat gun. Once the original covers are off, you can install the grip of your choice. The only problem is that you need two throttle-sized grips. I you want to run foam grips, they're inexpensive enough to buy two sets and throw away the smaller grips.
I just cut mine off with a razor. It's not that risky, you just need to score the rubber to get it to tear along a straight line.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:40 am
Enthusiast

Get a Grip

The old (still available) grooved grips are easier to remove than the new type with the lozenge pattern. BMW used a far better glue on these and more of it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:42 pm
"DELIVERS"

FYI....you don't need to remove the original grips for Grip Puppies.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode