Ever Change Your Tranny Oil??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:15 am Thread Starter

Ever Change Your Tranny Oil???

My bike a 2003 K1200 RS only has 11,800 miles on it,,, and I have only owned/riding it since Febuary which I have put about 6,000 miles of the total on it...

Changed the Tranny oil and,,, it was looking like it was time... Redish/Brownish oil came out with just a little "Gunk" stuck to the magnet,,, not much at all...

Put Mobil One Synthetic G-5 75-90 oil back in and it shifts better,,, at least it sure seems like it...

Anyone else changed their Tranny oil and did your oil look the same???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:37 am
Veteran

oils aint oils

Every time I change mine it seems just like the stuff I am replacing it with, waste of time.

Last time I did a change....Then rode 3000k north where I had a new tyre fitted. Couple of spots of gear oil on the floor. The tyre changer sniffed and said, "Still the same old problem, after all these years they cannot fix a gearbox leak"

I thought to me self, self, that is bullshit. Pulled in at a relatives house and checked the level. I had put too much in, drained a bit out. Rode 3000k home. No sign of weeping or any drips.

I change my oils as per the book. But the gearbox and diff oil always looks like new.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 3:09 am
Addict

I change my transmission and rear drive oils every 6-8K. It's not a lot of extra work, doesn't cost a lot more and doesn't need much oil. I use standard Hypoy mineral.

By changing the oils more often, you flush out any metal deposits that grind away at your bearings and oil seals and you may get early warning signs of rear drive bearing failure. This can make the repair easier and cheaper than waiting for the metal parts of the bearings to fall out. The rear drive in particular has a very small volume for oil and few places that metal wear deposits can collect. Unless you get oil analysed or look at it through a microscope, you're unlikely to see what particles are actually in it. It's not the deteriation in oil lubrication properties that's the issue. It's the cost of having leaking shaft seals replaced.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:23 am
Addict

Just did the 24,000 mile maintenance recently and the transmission oil looked like it was still brand new - a light gold color, and the magnet had a small amount of fine shavings on it. Now the final drive, that oil was a bit darker.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:27 am
Enthusiast

Gear Oil

The reddish/brown oil you drained was probably BMW Synthetic. It comes in either a rather bright red, which slowly turns brown, or the traditional amber.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54089093
The reddish/brown oil you drained was probably BMW Synthetic. It comes in either a rather bright red, which slowly turns brown, or the traditional amber.
That is good to Know!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:49 am
Addict

Quote:
If it isn't changing color in the bottle then it's either breaking down in air (unlikely) or it's probably just the black seals being worn away and black plus red = brown/amber.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 9:58 am
Addict

Quote:
Unlikely. I changed the final drive oil once before at 12,000 miles and the stuff that I put in was regular GL-5 gear oil. (replaced this time with synthetic 75W/90)

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode