Restricting Horse Power - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Restricting Horse Power

I am moving to France from the UK before the year is out and I would like to look into the possibilty/cost to reduce the horse power of my K1200GT to the legal limit in France which is about 104bhp or I think 78KW.

I notice in the hand book it shows two power figures 96KW and 72KW.

Does anyone know about this or should I contact a BMW dealer, who in my experience with their car sales people, may not have a clue what I am on about!

If need be the bike will have to stay in UK for 6 months of the year and 6 months in france to get around it.

I can't believe that a Country so liberal in certain aspects has put a ridiculous limit on bikes. What good is 100bhp to anyone???????

Any info. gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:45 pm
Will ride for picts

How would they ever know? Do you need to provide certified dyno-results or something to register the bike?

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 1:53 pm
Rookie

The airbox and a plug for somewhere in the wiring are what's needed. Described in this article:

http://www.flyingbrick.de/GB/the_k1200_rs-lt-gt.html

Not sure what year your bike is, as this info may only be relevant to early ones.

Airboxes quite often appear on ebay (Germany):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Luftfilter-Dro...QQcmdZViewItem

But, as mentioned, unless you need a certificate of restriction for Tax/insurance, why bother?

Douglas C.
1998 K1200RS
1968 Triumph T120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, suggestions.

The bike is a 2005 model K1200GT and if you want to register the bike onto French plates, which you should do after one month of living their you have to go through all sorts of hoops and provide documents of conformity from BMW, etc, etc, etc.

I agree why bother, I have a hayabusa which is 175bhp and no way am I going to restrict that BUT if you ever had an accident the first thing they will ask for are papers, etc, especially if it is 'an import' so to be safe and ensure insurance is valid, etc best to do it right.

If it can't be done cheaply then, as I mentioned, both bikes will have to stay at my moms in her garage, although she doesn't know this yet!! I would have one bike over for 6 months then bring the other one over and that, in theory, should be OK even thought they should have plate change after a month I think I may be able to get away with that.

What a nightmare!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Addict

I thought we had freedom of movement of goods between EU countries without restrictions, which could be used to give economic advantage to the home country? I see the French have stopped that yellow headlight thing, so something must be working that way.

Perhaps you only need deux chevaux after all!

Vox.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 7:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I thought we had freedom of movement of goods between EU countries without restrictions, which...

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 4:53 am Thread Starter

I am sure we do have free movement of goods in EU but not, it seems, for bikes that don't conform to the rules.

It is a real pain, imagine what life in England would have been like if they had managed to get the 125bhp limit set all those years ago when there was talk of it, mind you I suppose we would not have known better

Anyway I will keep looking into it but I'm not taking it to the court of human rights, just yet
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:29 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige
I am sure we do have free movement of goods in EU but not, it seems, for bikes that don't conform to the rules.

It is a real pain, imagine what life in England would have been like if they had managed to get the 125bhp limit set all those years ago when there was talk of it, mind you I suppose we would not have known better

Anyway I will keep looking into it but I'm not taking it to the court of human rights, just yet
I did forget to mention something. I've looked at some of the code sets in the ECU Eprom chips and before I knew the K12's could be got in a lower horsepower, I spotted references to the lower horsepower in BMW's ECU firmware code. Of course I rushed into my local stealer wanting to know if I had a bike with the lower HP.

It's just a thought, but It may be just the ECU that determines max horsepower. Of course once you put back the UK oem ECU or a performance chip you're back to the higher HP. I guess your process is to get a fr dealer to do the power 'retrograde' and give you some sort of paperwork it would also appear on the stealer network logs. What you do afterwards is up to you. Once you have the tank off , the ECU is pretty accessible.

I can't see the point in running a very heavy K12 with reduced horsepower. There are alternative lighter bikes that might be better, but I can't think af any in the proper touring category. Once you add pillion and luggage you need the chevaux.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. voxmanga, I will call into a BMW dealer here and see what they say.

I agree with you in the fact that I bet it is a pig to ride with 100bhp or so and knocking on 500kg!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:30 am
Addict

That's just one more reason to not live in France.

It's not the speed that kills, it's the rate at which the speed diminishes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode