Potential new owner bummed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy Potential new owner bummed

Apologies in advance for the long post -

A little background here – I thought I had closed a deal on a ’03 RS with only 4K miles on it and, as a final condition for the sale, was going to take it to Blue Moon Cycle in Atlanta for a mechanical inspection before purchasing. What I thought would be a formality turned out to be just the opposite. Due to the bike setting idle for extended periods of time, several of the seals had dried out, resulting on the following observations and resultant repair estimates by Blue Moon –

The front cover gasket is leaking – estimate to repair - $350
The rear main is leaking - $800
The rear shock is leaking (really bad – fluid was running along the top of the swingarm by the time I got there – about a 175 mile ride) - $850
The output shaft seal is leaking - $25 (low price due to them already in there repairing real main)

Blue Moon recommends the shock and rear main (and output shaft seal) be addressed immediately, while the front cover gasket, while a nuisance, could wait.

I am going back to the seller tomorrow to see if he will lower price to cover the repairs. If not, I feel at this point I will void the deal, but would like some input before doing so.

I have been reading this board for the past few weeks, getting valuable insight into K1200 ownership and issues with the bike and have appreciated everyone's willingness to share.

So the question I have is - should I get these issues repaired and have a great, low mileage bike or is this just the “tip of the iceberg” and this bike will just be a constant money pit (due to the aforementioned idleness affecting other areas in time)? I am again seeking the group’s “wisdom” on this.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Farley
Montgomery, AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:32 pm

Walk Away Or Not: I'd Walk, Quickly

If I had the option to void the deal I would. Just not worth the pain and the uncertainty. I love my '03 K1200rs it's been very dependable, and a joy to drive.

Go back to square one and keep your eyes peeled for a cream puff.

Steve
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:25 am
JIS

Yes, my 03 GT came to me with 16000 miles and, apart from a rear seal replacement ($50 or so), the bikes is i superb condition. Your list of problems sounds suspicious, and with only 4k on the clock, the bikes is hardly run-in.

Nope, I would void this one and keep looking.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 4:55 am
Veteran

I replaced (under warranty at about 16K miles) all those seals that you mentioned. As far as I know, the leaking seals are a known problem. I didn't know mine were leaking until the dealer told me so maybe your seller didn't realize it either. Mine only had a few drops of oil in the bellypan.
I would ask the seller to get it fixed at a dealer and then decide to buy it if you want to or just pass on it. I'd let HIM/HER get it fixed just in case there is something else that needs fixing once the dealer opens it. After the fixes, it's probably a good deal on the bike.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 7:31 am
Enthusiast

The current owner will probably not deal with you very much in hopes of getting the most out of it he can, but if he does then you may want to consider the deal. If you do get all those things fixed then odds are you will never have to worry about them. However, don't do the deal unless the seller will discount the bike by the cost of the repairs.

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:03 am

Those issues do not indicate any other fundamental problems.

I think you are in the best possible situation. If the seller will accommodate the repairs you will end up with a great bike that has been gone through throughly. That is a good deal. If he will not absorb all or most of the repair costs- walk.

There are a good number of low mileage units available within a days ride/drive of Atlanta. I say you should get on the computer and get the facts of the market.

shop ebay/craigslist/ and all the BMW shops you can find, plus the on-line classified sections fo the major newspapers in your shopping range. That is what I did and It saved me several thousand dollars.

If you strike-out send me a PM, I know of a really great RS but it is in Colorado...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update

Update – wound up taking the bike back (seller is going to take to auction in ATL next month). Seller did not want to take any off for repairs. I was uncomfortable taking all the risk. Oh well….I’ll keep looking. Thanks to all for your inputs…really appreciate it!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:58 am

Though 'low mileage' is an eye catcher the chance of these problems arising (dried out seals) are greater than with a slightly higher mileage bike that has been taken care of by the owner. I purchased a 1999 K12rs that has 22k on it. The owner babied this bike and all the maintenance had been done. With the bike you are considering, you will be looking at the 6k service and shortly thereafter the 12k.

Food for thought
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 1:26 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef111
I was uncomfortable taking all the risk.
That says it all right there. Other bikes are out there, and definitely worth the search. Good luck, too.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:27 pm

new owner bummed

I would definitely pass on this one. Sounds like it has been sitting for too long. I found a 99 in April of 2006 with 22K on it and could not be happier. It now has over 36K and has had no seal problems or leaks of any kind.
One of the things that sold me on this bike was the fact that most of the folks on this site said 20K is the break-in point to start running synthetic oil in these engines. As already stated, ther are lots of great used bikes out there for sale, don't be afraid of 15 or 20K on the clock if the owner can validate the maintenance records.
Check out the link below for a great list of used bikes.

http://www.ibmwr.org/

My $0.02
Allen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode