Clutch drag, or ???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
88x
Noob

Clutch drag, or ????

Every once in a while my '03 RS (with 24k on it) exhibits a feeling like the clutch is dragging.
It occurs when the bike is started, not warmed up and I first put it in gear (1st). The engine slows and the bike tries to lurch forward, but the brakes hold it easily. I either hit the kill switch or the engine dies on it's own. I then pull the clutch lever a few times (not sure why I did that the first time, it kind of reminded me of "pumping" the brakes in a car that has just lost it's brakes.....?) After the lever pumping, I restart the engine, pull in the clutch lever and snick it into 1st gear and all is well. No more occurences for the rest of a good days ride. It happened again this past weekend.
Could it be a leaking master cylinder, or something? Is there anything to adjust? I did have the clutch lever pulled tight to the hand grip. I suppose I could add some travel by adjusting the lever position farther from the bars, but that seems temporary.
I'm unfamiliar with the clutch hydraulics so any experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:34 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

A simple bleeding of the clutch may be of big help.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:34 pm
Addict

My '97 KRS engages the clutch with only about 1/2" of pull at the lever, I can shift in and out of neutral at that distance with no drag.

Perhaps you should start by flushing through some new fluid and make sure there is no air in there. If you had a leaking seal, I'd expect the reservoir level to drop and you wouldn't get a drag problem until the level got so low the clutch master cylinder on the bars started to pull air. Check your levels first and do a bleed. I think my clutch lever is set to No. 2 position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 3:07 pm

I had a very similar problem.

I took it in and let the dealer bleed the clutch and brakes at the same time.

Took care of it.

Good luck!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 3:14 pm
Enthusiast

I had something similar right before my clutch slave failed. How is the fluid in the reservoir? On our particular model of bike the fluid level should rise as the clutch wears, so a low fluid level may indicate a clutch problem.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 1:34 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
I had something similar right before my clutch slave failed. How is the fluid in the reservoir? On our particular model of bike the fluid level should rise as the clutch wears, so a low fluid level may indicate a clutch problem.
Been there...done that.
Watch the reservoir level. If it's dropping, you may have a slave cylinder leak. That's not the exciting part, though. That fluid leaking, if it is, gets to places where you don't want it to go...rear engine seal, and input transmission seal.

Having said all that, here's the deal. If the fluid is leaking, it was a BMW warranty item. Depending on how it's handled, if you can have the slave cylinder serviced under warranty, pay for the rear engine seal and input transmission seal replacement. The seals aren't that expensive, and it's an additional 1 hour labor. Otherwise, you're most likely going to pay for the removal of the drive train to replace those seals down the road as "wear items".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 5:09 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Been there...done that.
Watch the reservoir level. If it's dropping, you may have a slave cylinder leak. That's not the exciting part, though. That fluid leaking, if it is, gets to places where you don't want it to go...rear engine seal, and input transmission seal.

Having said all that, here's the deal. If the fluid is leaking, it was a BMW warranty item. Depending on how it's handled, if you can have the slave cylinder serviced under warranty, pay for the rear engine seal and input transmission seal replacement. The seals aren't that expensive, and it's an additional 1 hour labor. Otherwise, you're most likely going to pay for the removal of the drive train to replace those seals down the road as "wear items".
Warranty Item? On a 4 year old bike with 24k?

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 1:46 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Warranty Item? On a 4 year old bike with 24k?
Well...service contracts will extend the warranty time, but I should have rephrased it "if it's under warranty". Point was that if you go in there to fix the slave cylinder, replace the seals anyway.

Thanks for spotting that one, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Enthusiast

I know because I just (last week)went through this on my '03 GT with just 22,000 miles on the odometer. While riding to Florida with my daughter I had two instances were the bike lurched when I tried to start it. I made it back home, but the dealer couldn't fix an intermittent issue. When it finally failed it had leaked fluid all over the clutch plate, etc. I did have the shop replace the rear seals also. My extended warranty provider (Pinnacle) doesn't cover the part, so all of the damage caused was not covered either. So, I guess the moral of the story is, not all extended warranties are created equal?

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2007, 5:01 pm
"DELIVERS"

Your service contract didn't cover a failed slave cylinder? Why?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode