New 04 K1200GT Owner Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:07 am Thread Starter

New 04 K1200GT Owner Question

Hi guys. This is a great spot for specific info and I want to join with a few questions about my new bike. It's my second BMW K bike, but with a 10 year gap between them.

I just bought a used 2004 K1200GT with about 3,000 mile on her. I'm pretty happy with everything except a scratch/scuff that I missed from it being dropped once. Everything else looks like its spanking new. I have two issues that are sound and feel related that I want to confirm are correct.

1. The overall sound is what I remember, but after a decent ride and I stop with the engine still running, I hear all kinds of whistles, hums and such. These are not the typical engine noise and do not really sound like cooling fans and such. Does that make any sence?

2. I also feel an occasional clunk in the front end. Nothing harsh, but I can still feel it every no and again. I did have one fast lot entrance over a small curb that clunked pretty hard and felt strange as well. My mind is playing tricks on me and I keep getting nervous that something is going to fall off and/or send me sailing over the front. I have felt and pulled on the front end parts and can not find any loose parts (like the wheel falling off!).

My closest BMW shop is a 2 hour ride. I live near Cincinnati OH so I can go to Louisvill KY or north with 2 dealer options in Columbus OH. I'm not ready for the 6,000 mile service, but perhaps I need to take it in for a good check.

Anyone have any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:06 am

Your bike is obviously defective and un-safe. For your own safety, PLEASE get off of it immediately and ship it to me. I will provide a long-term test and offer an opinion of its road-worthiness. This may take several years. PM me for the shipping address.

What color is it?

I hear those noises as well. I believe them to be "normal" and of no concern. Perhaps you know our bikes have a dry clutch which is known to have the rattles.

The clunk- I cannot help you with. Too young to have wear problems. My suggestion is to get her up on the center stand and weight down the back end. Go up front and look around good. poke and probe, and then if you find nothing loose, taker off the stand and get on it. push down and rebound as vigorously as possible. Or go for a slow ride and bounce over some small bump- like the entry to a driveway or other 1 inch thing. listen and feel...

Congratulations!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

There is no doubt the GT-1's have some noises most other bikes don't, but I really don't think you should let us talk you out of a trip to your dealer for a once-over. Other than the infamous "box 'o rocks" clutch sound at idle (which is pretty much normal, although some do it more than others), I don't think a healthy GT-1 makes other odd noises which you cannot identify. If the fans come on, you know what they are right away. You can hear the brake servo-assist whine if you are mashing on the brake lever with the ignition on but engine off. Other than that, nada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2007, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I will get to the dealer ASAP and put my mind at ease.

As far as the color. The guy I bought it from said it was Glacier Blue but the sticker on the bike says it is GR/G....? I'm more inclined to believe the sticker on the bike and in the back of the manual.

Thx again!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Glacier Blue was a color they used in mid 90's R1100RT's.

Sounds like you bike is the gray/green metallic. A very cool color- and slightly different from Glacier... cannot recall the name of your color just now, but some one will.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2007, 4:24 pm
Will ride for picts

It's most certainly Gray-Green Metallic (Grau-Gruen Metallic). GT's only came in three colors in 2004: Gray Green Metallic (the fastest), Orient Blue, and Piedmont Red.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 1:37 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
... Gray Green Metallic (the fastest) ...
He tempts me, he does...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 5:10 pm
Noob

Just a side note. In the '07 accessory catalog, a picture of a K1200 GT /04 is shown in Silver. I think they were sold in Canada and maybe Australia.
Trigger

trigger

HI-HO SILVER, AWAY
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger
Just a side note. In the '07 accessory catalog, a picture of a K1200 GT /04 is shown in Silver. I think they were sold in Canada and maybe Australia.
Trigger
Silver was a 2005 color, and was not available in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
... Gray Green Metallic (the fastest) ...

He tempts me, he does...
And I didn't mention the obvious: that Gray-Green Metallic, in addition to being the fastest, is also the best looking.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2007, 11:54 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Silver was a 2005 color, and was not available in the USA.

And I didn't mention the obvious: that Gray-Green Metallic, in addition to being the fastest to fall over, is also the second-best looking.
Lets see if we can find the May, 2003 issue of Playboy. They have a penchant for photographing and displaying the best. Ah. Here it is. Page 88...& 89. Orient Blue. Just because I knew you would ask.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode