Discussion Question K12GT or R12RT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Discussion Question K12GT or R12RT?

Suppose you could choose between a nice '03/'04 K12GT, or an also nice '05/'06 R12RT- each in low miles, with good equipment etc. Money is not the issue.

Which and Why?

Data point- I love my '98 12RS. It is fast, smooth, but (will) take a good bit of maintenance, ergos are ok but not great, weather protection is ok not great. It is a fairly intense bike.

The mission is casual riding in the mountain west. Occasional longer tours. Think of it as all 2-up. It would be an exception to solo. I am not a Boy Racer type. I'm an Old Fart- I like my comfort but enjoy a spirited ride. I enjoy doing my own routine Maintenance.

Edit to add: What if you could keep the "98 K12RS?

Horns of a dilemma.

Last edited by hopz; Jul 28th, 2007 at 7:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Veteran

I'm 64 and would not own a twin,

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

I wish you wouldn't run on like that- if you have an opinion spit it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 8:19 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

In the words of a famous philosopher from the original
K12RS site..........

"Twins are for girls"

That said, given the parameters you set out, the
R bike appears to fill the bill perfectly.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I'm 64 and would not own a twin,
My opinion is that a twin is a vibrating piece of crap. If you want one go buy it, it's your money, spend it as you wish.
Is that not running on enough for you now?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

I liked your first novel the best...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:20 pm
Telepathetic

Well, I like the 1200RT. Rode one through the Alps with the wife on the back and it was a great ride. I liked the ergos and the weather protection can't be beat. I had planned on dumping my LT and getting a RT when the new GT came rolling out. I have ridden both the RS/GT models and wasn't impressed. Of course I'm not a old fart yet, just a geezer hoping to live long enough to make it to fart-hood.

Choose what you like and screw them other guys.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:14 am

Nuthin wrong with the R bikes, I owned one between the current bike and a much loved K75s.

I didn't mind the vibration, it was just there and part of the R's aura. The RSL had a very comfortable seat too, I never bothered to slap on an aftermarket. That bein said, the bike had no soul, I never bonded with it. I know that may sound nuts but it's a big deal to me.

Now I'm back on The Dark Side, never to leave...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:56 pm

For your needs, RT. And this coming from a GT rider.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Enthusiast

RT vs. GT

Based on what you stated your needs are you need to buy an RT. This comes from a guy who rode a 93 K1100RS for 11 years and loves the K engine. Unfortunately my K was totaled from an accident up in the Sierra's 3 years ago or I would probably be riding it right now. My immediate reaction was to find another K bike. A year or two before my accident I rode a friends R1100RT for a weekend and could not believe how well it handled and "turned in" to corners. As I have gotten older I was looking for a more upright seating position, more protection, and maybe even a radio. I found a great deal on an almost brand new 04 R1150RT in Texas and bought it. Meanwhile I had heard good things about the new R1200RT. I found one advertised here in L.A. 6 months after buying the 04. I talked with the owner and scheduled a test ride. 30 minutes later I was the proud owner of an 05 R1200RT. This bike is sooooo much better than the R1150RT. There is no pull to the right when you accelerate due to counter balancers being used, 43 lbs. lighter, about 15 more h.p., better gearing, flickability now, cruise control, heated seats. This TWIN is better IN EVERY WAY vs. the earlier models. It will HAUL ASS in the mountains in 3rd/4th gear above 5K rpm's and there are not many bikes that will be able to get away from you.
More than likely you will need to add a seat, shocks, and windscreen but that is par for the course for BMW, right? Another thing, you can do the maintenance on the RT saving yourself thousands of $$$ over its lifetime if you like to wrench. I get a lot of self satisfaction working on my own bike so I do the maintenance. As stated earlier I have always been an inline 4 kind of guy but I am loving this bike so far after 18 months of ownership and I can see keeping it just as long as I owned the K bike. Bottom line is go take one for a test ride and decide for yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode