Throttle Return Spring- Job - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2007, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Throttle Return Spring- Job

Well, by luck the Clymer came yesterday and I did my first ever Tupperwarependectomy of the left side. Actually fairly easy and no real surprises.

The engine compartment was dusty but fairly clean, meaning no oil or greasy oily dusty goobers (technical term).

The Throttle Return Spring was easy enough to get to, and after two dozen tries with various spring retaining devices, ranging from monofiliment which seemed pretty risky to paper clip and needle nose vice grips then the heavier twine loop and vicegrip combo, plus the old screwdriver with a notch filed in the end- i got it.

Reassembly went smoothly and the test ride felt great.

Any other newbies out there with ever-growing right forearms who need a break- I suggest a trip through the archives on the subject, or drop me a line.

A fairly easy mod which I perceive to be a good improvement. Warning- Safety Issue at hand here- you do not want to remove too much tension lest the throttle not close properly. Mine is still snappy, without being a beast about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:13 am Thread Starter

In reply to my own post- and for the future benefit to others who may want to do this job...

Last night I thought of another tool that would make the job a lot easier.

Go ahead and make a spring safety loop- something to hook under the spring to keep it under control.

A good option to the old screwdriver with a notch filed on the end method would be a BRASS tube- very small diameter- frequently found in real hobby shops- about 12" long would be perfect. Hook the safety loop over the end of the spring, then slide the brass tube in to push and engage the spring's "hook". this would allow you to push the spring off its present stop and yet move it to the left and relocate to its new desired position- all with far greater control.

Hope it helps someone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode