The pain in my hip is ….. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:03 am Thread Starter
JIS

The pain in my hip is …..

In a recent post (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10750) I mentioned that, after about 1 hour’s riding, my hips (right one especially) starts to ache and then the ache turns into a pain, forcing me to stop.
Last weekend, having reached this “threshold”, I was forced to stop and / or stand on the pegs every 10 minutes or so; I managed to cover 350 miles but, even the next day, after a good night’s sleep, the ache returned quickly.

I see that we K-bike riders are not the only ones to suffer; this is what the fireblade riders say - http://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...hat-going.html !
So, if there are any medically trained riders out there, my questions are :-
  • If this is due to restricted blood flow, then what can be done long term?
  • What short term solution is there to ease the ache; just a simple analgesic ?

Thanks !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Last edited by JIS; Aug 1st, 2007 at 9:23 am. Reason: Sorry this was meant to be posted in the general "Bike Talk" section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:54 am
Veteran

John

Do you know anyone near you with a RS/GT that has a different seat than yours? Maybe borrow it and see if there is a change in the pain threshold. It doesn't have to be aftermarket as BMW made high,low, custom, etc. seats.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 1:17 pm

Talking A novel thought

Have you consulted an Orthopedic Surgeon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Have you consulted an Orthopedic Surgeon?
No, I haven't, but I accept that it's probably a good move

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
In a recent post (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10750) I mentioned that, after about 1 hour’s riding, my hips (right one especially) starts to ache ...

... So, if there are any medically trained riders out there, my questions are :-

Thanks !
This is something you should see a doc about, though going to an orthopod first is akin to going after a rabbit with a howitzer. A GP will ask you a bunch more questions, such as, "Where, specifically, does the hip hurt?" (At the bone on which you sit, the joint proper, inside or outside, etc.) "Does the pain radiate down either leg? Is it an aching, a throbbing, a stabbing or burning?" The source of the pain may be one or more of several things, ranging from very serious to trivial. The solution may involve medications, simple stretching and conditioning, a better seat, physical therapy, or, in rare cases, surgery.

caution: seek out a moto-friendly doctor. I work with physicians who think the solution to any motorcycle riding related complaint has the same (final) solution.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:06 am
Addict

cheap solution

u can do the runaround with doctors, cost u a fortune, or................spend $500 on a russell daylong seat. i know the pain u experienced, and it's gone now, after buying the russell. i ride 1000 mile days in heat with little discomfort. all u gotta do is make the committment and buy one.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
In a recent post (http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10750) I mentioned that, after about 1 hour’s riding, my hips (right one especially) starts to ache and then the ache turns into a pain, forcing me to stop.
Last weekend, having reached this “threshold”, I was forced to stop and / or stand on the pegs every 10 minutes or so; I managed to cover 350 miles but, even the next day, after a good night’s sleep, the ache returned quickly.

I see that we K-bike riders are not the only ones to suffer; this is what the fireblade riders say - http://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...hat-going.html !
So, if there are any medically trained riders out there, my questions are :-

Thanks !
I've had lots of aches and sorted some out with pegs, seat and bar height changes. I have a nervous suspicion that sport bike riding as you get older isn't so good for you. Here are some reservations:

The K bike is very heavy, it's a sport bike so comes in my view with hard suspension and an inch of foam on the seat. If I'd not modified my oem seat I think I'd have suffered a spinal injury by now riding UK urban roads.

I've had the leg cramp problem which improved when I dropped the pegs an inch and raised the seat the same amount.

I've had something which at times felt akin to the carpotunnel problem from long rides - like what the daylong jackhammer worker used to get. I noticed the problem more on my right hand. I slacked off the throttle springs and that's a bit better, but I think I have the start of some arthritis.

We pulled up behind a fully kitted Goldwing 1800 + pillion the other day. Rider and pillion looked to be about 65. My wife said: 'My, that looks a comfy motorcycle' - So there you are, something to think ahead to!

If you want to ride the big K's I think you need to be quite physically fit or do some work outs, the bike might just be letting you know you may not be as fit as you thought. Then after breaking yourself in it gets better.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:02 pm

Hips get very tight as we age. Consider doing some yoga type stretches--half lotus pose. Look it up on the net.

Begin by sitting in a chair and slowly rotating the right leg out at the hip. Place your right ankle just above your left knee. To lift the leg into Ardha Padmasana (Half Lotus Pose), reach your right hand under your calf to grasp the outside of the right lower leg near the ankle. Flex the foot so that you can no longer see the sole, and slowly lift the leg up, rotating the shin and thigh outwards as you do so. Carefully place the ankle on the upper thigh near your groin, with the outer ball of the ankle joint supported by your thigh. Continue to draw the little toe of your right foot back towards your outer knee to prevent the rotation from coming at the ankle or knee. If you pull the leg up by grasping the top of the foot and allowing the foot to sickle, you will only overstretch the ligaments of your ankle and knee rather than opening your hip.

Here's the pose standing (to get more of a stretch, lean forward a bit):

or you can sit down and do the same.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:24 am Thread Starter
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
[snip] If you want to ride the big K's I think you need to be quite physically fit or do some work outs, the bike might just be letting you know you may not be as fit as you thought. Then after breaking yourself in it gets better.
Well I'm not sure how I now feel. You're right, the GT is a physically demanding bike. I rode a Triumph Tiger (new one) recently. It was gorgeous and I felt very comfortable. However it was nothing (as a sports bike) compared to the GT. But it was easy on the back and legs.

I need to continue my daily exercises; perhaps 20 mins cycling and "running" at the local gym isn't enough? :wtf

Thanks all ! (Not sure about the Yoga, I think I'd cripple myself if I tried that )

K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)

Last edited by JIS; Aug 8th, 2007 at 2:56 pm.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:48 pm

I have the same problem but with my left hip. I can't understand why it is just my left hip and never the right one.
I have to stop every hour for some minutes to get rid of it. At the same time I am not surprised.
People like me that fly a lot of long distance knows about the problems of spending a too long time in a flight chair. Your body is completely sour after 24 hours of flying and there is really a problem sitting. It hurts!
The chairs are damn nice compared to our bikes and they still give people aches and circulation problems.
The recommendation is to get out of the chair and do some exorcise quite often. It helps but the longer you go the more often you have to get up.
We are much worse of on our bikes. There will never be a bike that is as comfortable as a chair in the business class.
Young people will always be able to punish there bodies a bit more than us old folks.
Also think about what you do if you sit in a cinema or a meeting. You change your position at least every five minutes. Why do we believe that we should be able to sit in the same position for hours on a motorbike? I have accepted that I have to take a break once an hour to relax and maybe do a simple exorcise to be able to drive another hour. But his is only during days of traveling 10 -12 hours.
If you are very fit it will always help, no matter if you are in your business class seat or on your bike.

Last edited by FlashGordon; Aug 8th, 2007 at 2:15 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode