The Grill Project - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

The Grill Project

I know this has been done over at Pirates Lair, and elsewhere, but today I found a source for the Grill material that I thought was pretty nifty.

I had been looking at metal lath at Home depot, but it was so, construction-material looking. Today in the BBQ section of our local all-in-one store, no not Wally Word, but they probably have it - I found this disposable aluminum grill material. apparently you are supposed to put it on top of your charcoal grill and cook on it. It was expensive- I think $1.50... a dollar and half, and it was big enough to do grills for two RS/GT's.

and

and finished

and

Took about half an hour after getting the pan off.

edit to say- sorry, I thought I had figured out how to post a thumbnail. If you can go to snapfish see here:http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...11/t_=15923711
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:02 am

How did you secure it to the belly pan?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:09 am Thread Starter

I used the little stick-on Tie Wrap mounts from Radio Shack.

See this install guide:
http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k12...lle/index.html

It spiffy part was finding the aluminium grill thing that worked so well. If this takes any stones it will bend up pretty easy. So it is a good thing that you can get at least two out of the huge investment of $1.50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:13 am

Slick!!

I'm gonna try that!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:22 am
Addict

Good idea...! might stop some of those small stones that seem to build up at the bottom of the engine cover. A neat way to fix them without drilling the cover, might be to use some of those metal (sprayed black) 'S' shape clips BMW use to hold wiring to panels.

Will I still be able to see the timing cover leaks!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

Will I still be able to see the timing cover leaks!
No, the leaks will stop if you do this project.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:51 pm
Rookie

Aluminum corrodes... quickly. Instead, you should go to the kitchen utensils department of Wally World (or wherever) and get a stainless steel mesh strainer of the appropriate size (e.g. the kind used to drain spaghetti) and cut it to fit. I did this 4 years ago and, for less than $10, it's still like new.

Glen M.
'97 K12RS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:06 pm
Addict

Wow, my KRS is probably 80% aluminium, is it wasting away? I think the BMW mesh on the air intake right side is ali. The regular occurance of a timing cover oil leak will stop the ali mesh corroding anyway.

You need to keep the 'hole area' high to get airflow through there and under the fins on the sump cover. Stainless steel is fine if it's the woven wire sort. Since the Ali mesh is so cheap, if it lasts 2 or 3 years it should still be fine.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode