RS vs GT questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:00 pm Thread Starter

RS vs GT questions

I looked and did a test ride on an '03 GT today... this is versus my 98 RS.

Some interesting differences noted, and would like to learn what and why things changed. Well, not why they changed but what changed to make the different "feels" I noted.

The GT just feels heavier, especially in the front. I know the fairing changed, and with the addition of changes to the basic fairing plus the hand guards it makes it seem even more-bigger up front.

The handling was definitely different too. It seems to turn-in on low to moderate speeds, almost like over steer. Did they change the rake too?

The servo brakes seem... well on or off. Digital. Sort of more than I expected.

Noisy in the tranny, engine at low speed acceleration... maybe its not broken in yet- this was a low mileage unit. This characteristic of the GT breed? Or is my 28k mile 98 RS just a smooth one?( its like buttah...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:00 pm

Regarding the steering turn-in, My RS is rather sensitive to tire pressure. If the front is low, I get a bit of unwanted turn-in tendency. When the pressure is right (set when cold), the steering is very neutral at most speeds.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:32 pm
Addict

I was thinking tire pressure too, maybe brand of tire or condition.Higher bar height makes it handle diff too. I put bar backs on my 98 RS and it seems like it handles differently.Was the shifer adjusted right? Mine shifts better with it where i like it, didnt the newer models have bit different shifter? I had to modify mine so it shifted, stock it was gross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:32 pm

Ridden both. My passenger likes the GT better but you're right, it's kind of like comparing an F-14 to an A6.

Steering rake on the GT is: 29.4 degrees - 1555mm wheelbase ( lots of variations on wheel base in google, shrug)

Steering rake on the GT is: 27.25 degrees, 1555mm wheelbase - http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/a...opDefault.aspx

I bought the GT with two-up in mind. Works for what I want it to do, but it is a pokey tub at low speed. I think I need to work on more wrist strength....tires? Air pressure? I've only owned this one 2 months, still learning it's traits.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
I was thinking tire pressure too, maybe brand of tire or condition.
+1
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Scumshine... ? maybe a typo in there somewhere? Which one has the greater rake? I figured the GT has changed the rake...

I know tire pressure is a BFD on our bikes, but my central thing was the low speed turn-in.

T.P. not likely to be the fundamental cause.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
Scumshine... ? maybe a typo in there somewhere? Which one has the greater rake? I figured the GT has changed the rake...

I know tire pressure is a BFD on our bikes, but my central thing was the low speed turn-in.

T.P. not likely to be the fundamental cause.
I got them in google, see what you get. Daymn my head hurts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:27 pm
Addict

I though tth eolder Rs and GT's were the same bike but for a few farkles, did the rake change thru out the years?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:41 pm

The Clymer manual indicates the same wheelbase on the RS and GT, so if there really is a different rake on the two models, that would imply a different frame geometry. Seems unlikely...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 9:25 am

The biggest difference in handling on these bikes can be tires, air pressure and road conditions IMO.

That's all other items being equal.....biggest handling improvement on my GS came with the Ohlins........I'd expect they do a similar improvement to the RS/GT bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode