Clutch gone bad;not happy about the associated costs of breakdown. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

Unhappy Clutch gone bad;not happy about the associated costs of breakdown.

Did I tell you that it seems that the clutch slave cylinder failed when I was on the road? and leaked hydraulic fluid all over the clutch disk?BMW roadside assistance would have towed the bike to the local dealer where it would have sat for 2 days waiting for the dealer to be open,while I took the bus/train home at my own expense...

It seems that all will be repaired /replaced under my one-month-to-go-warranty,hopefully soon.

This is the 4th breakdown on my 04 GT..all covered and fixed reasonably quickly.But every time there is an issue,it is a minimum two days off work and $200 out of pocket to get the bike to the shop,wait for the repair,then pick it up.Those costs are not covered by warranty,and it is starting to piss me off.Where did BMW's vaunted reliability go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:25 am
Addict

If you think that time is bad, think about the techs doing the job - that's a lot of work which needs care too.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:03 pm
Enthusiast

Be glad it was under warranty. Had my clutch slave fail on my '03 with about 23k on the odometer at the beginning of last month. Same as you, ruined the clutch, etc. Repairs were better than $1,800. This was the first major issue I have had. Hopefully I won't have another for a few years.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 5:23 am
Addict

Reliability

The BMW motorcycle is a machine, and machines break and wear out. That's the price we pay for using them. They need attention and care or they will fail you. The BMW motorcycle is not bulletproof. (for everyone) I see in here too many people whining about the dumbest little things. If you don't like the BMW motorcycle then buy a Japanese bike, ride it for four years, get raped at the parts counter every time you have to buy the mfg. specific parts, sell it for the $1500.00 it's worth and then get another one, only to see that one's better edition come out the following year and your new one is obsolete. Repeat cycle frequently. I'm not picking on you but on everyone that nit-pick's these bikes to death. My arm hurts, my finger is sore, my tires wore out, a bug hit my windshield. :wtf I thought this forum is for help and motorcycle enthusiasm, not whining. If I wanted to hear whining I would have gotten married by now. Man-o-man...........RIDE the DANG things!!!
Okay, I'm done, that felt good. Was I just whining about people whining?

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 8:58 am

The OP was hardly "whining" or nit-picking - especially if the previous breakdowns were significant ones.

BMWs break (everything does soooner or later) even if maintenance is performed to BMW's schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler
The BMW motorcycle is a machine, and machines break and wear out. That's the price we pay for using them. They need attention and care or they will fail you. The BMW motorcycle is not bulletproof. (for everyone) I see in here too many people whining about the dumbest little things. If you don't like the BMW motorcycle then buy a Japanese bike, ride it for four years, get raped at the parts counter every time you have to buy the mfg. specific parts, sell it for the $1500.00 it's worth and then get another one, only to see that one's better edition come out the following year and your new one is obsolete. Repeat cycle frequently. I'm not picking on you but on everyone that nit-pick's these bikes to death. My arm hurts, my finger is sore, my tires wore out, a bug hit my windshield. :wtf I thought this forum is for help and motorcycle enthusiasm, not whining. If I wanted to hear whining I would have gotten married by now. Man-o-man...........RIDE the DANG things!!!
Okay, I'm done, that felt good. Was I just whining about people whining?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:07 pm
Looking for better limits...

When you get the bike in for repair, have them replace the rear engine seal and the front/input shaft transmission seal. If they fuss about that, remind them that brake fluid causes non-brake fluid seals to fail, and that the two need to be replaced. If they still balk, have them do it at your expense (shouldn't be more than 1 hour) or get them to agree that the seals will be replaced for free, under warranty, for the next two years (BMW parts warranty generally states that parts are warranted for two years). But, either way, be sure to document that the seals should be replaced after a leaking clutch slave cylinder has been repaired.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 9:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
When you get the bike in for repair, have them replace the rear engine seal and the front/input shaft transmission seal. If they fuss about that, remind them that brake fluid causes non-brake fluid seals to fail, and that the two need to be replaced. If they still balk, have them do it at your expense (shouldn't be more than 1 hour) or get them to agree that the seals will be replaced for free, under warranty, for the next two years (BMW parts warranty generally states that parts are warranted for two years). But, either way, be sure to document that the seals should be replaced after a leaking clutch slave cylinder has been repaired.

I'm with you,Razel.Thanks for the helpful advice.The service manager sounds like he is on side with all that.

I would be riding the dang thing,but it's in the shop.Again.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:00 am
Veteran

Question

JGR451,
How have you ridden the bike?
Slow, fast, or really hard acceleration and shifting?
Not a criticism.
I've babied mine and have had no problems in over 100k.
Just wondering if there are lemons out there or if it is more related to riding style.
Larry
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 2:52 pm
Enthusiast

I know that in my case I have always been fairly easy on the bike. I wonder if the problem was the fact that it sat for a season or so unused by the previous owner. It was originally purchased in the summer of '03 and he barely managed to get the 600 checkup out of the way the first season. The second season ended at about 2,000 miles and it sat completely for the '05 season. I purchased in early '06.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry
JGR451,
How have you ridden the bike?
Slow, fast, or really hard acceleration and shifting?
Not a criticism.
I've babied mine and have had no problems in over 100k.
Just wondering if there are lemons out there or if it is more related to riding style.
Larry
Hi Larry,I haven't ridden it abusively but I have ridden it hard,80-85 mph all day long on the slab,which was hard on tires but...My issues were headlight(duh!how hard is it to make headlights that work!);rear main engine seal;and transmission output shaft seal.Now,it is leaking clutch slave cylinder and consequent damage to clutch disk by exposure to said leak, etc.None of these relate to abuse or accident/incident.They all seem to relate to inadequate design/lack of reliability.As someone pointed out,machines do break,and I do not expect perfection.I do expect a fundamental satisfactory"lack of failure".

I do not perform wheelies,brakies,stoppies,burnouts,clutchless shifting,random headlight switching....I have a friend who has a Kawasaki that has a switch JUST FOR flicking between high and low headlight,just to alert left lane parkers to the presence of through traffic,what a concept!

I don't think of my bike as a lemon...but having this last ,long BC weekend of beautiful weather pass me by ,with the bike in the shop,disabled,is pissing me off some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode