Lower fairing bolt size - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:10 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Question Lower fairing bolt size

I lost a bolts that holds the lower fairing to the engine bracket. Most likely I forgot to tighten them up when I changed oil 3K miles ago

Anyway, I though of buying a replacement bolts at a local hardware store, but the parts diagram doesn't have that bolt size :wtf

That's part number 9 (FILLISTER HEAD SCREW 13721460964)

Does anyone know what is the size of that bolt?

Thanks.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:19 pm
Veteran

I too lost that bolt within the first 1,000mi. of ownership. I removed the second bolt and matched the length and size with a metric allen head bolt at the local True Value store. It's been there for the last 35,000mi.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:27 pm Thread Starter
MIK

Unhappy

Unfortunately, I lost both bolts and can't match them with anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:43 pm
Addict

What's wrong with a pair of nice shiny stainless steel Metric M6 hexagon socket cap screws?

I'd also get rid of their crappy washers that go rusty and put in a pair of M6 20mm 'penny' washers or dime washers, whatever you call them.

The cross bar is only 3mm thin steel, so not surprising they come out - they should have had a welded nut behind. Put a bit of Loctite on the screws. Note that there are rubber bushings with a metal spacer bush. You tighten up on the spacer bush. If that's missing the bolt will come out.

I just bought a new crossbar, as my old one was rusty and looked a mess. I might drop in a couple of M6 rivet nuts. Thanks for the alert guys. I always like to make the bike better than when it left the factory!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Aug 6th, 2007 at 1:51 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 4:51 pm

I removed the lower fairing to do the Grill job and found I only had one and it was a little loose.

I found something in the parts bin that seemed to get tight- but I had no spacers or extra washers...

Looks like a nifty, fast and fairly inexpensive project for the winter lay-up. I'll put it on the list.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 6:35 pm
Addict

I also noticed I had a spacer washer missing. They use the same idea but a bit smaller on the coil pack holding bolt.

Because they push through from the inside, I think you can lose them when the cover is taken off, then when the cover goes back you just pull down on the rubber and the screw works lose and drops out some time on. So you put in another screw and the same thing happens because you can't see the spacer isn't in the rubber bush.

I'll have to order some.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:26 pm
Rookie

They only cost a buck a piece from BMW so I'd suggest you see them and save yourself a lot of time and frustration searching for an equivalent.

Glen M.
'97 K12RS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 5:22 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
I too lost that bolt within the first 1,000mi. of ownership. I removed the second bolt and matched the length and size with a metric allen head bolt at the local True Value store. It's been there for the last 35,000mi.
I replaced mine with phillips head bolts....no problems....easier to work with.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode