valve cover damage - dropped at 0 MPH - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

valve cover damage - dropped at 0 MPH

A good friend of mine tried to do me a favor and move my bike and ended up doing a controlled drop on the left side. My pristine 2003 K1200RS now has some scratches on the left fairing which can be painted, but unfortunately it also touched the aluminum valve cover down on the blacktop leaving some surface pitting/gouges.

I really want to put it back into the same shape it was before the mishap. Any suggestions? Can the valve cover be filled an repainted so that it looks like new?

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:46 am
JIS

My condolences ... I also had a 0 mph topple a few weeks ago; trying to manoeuvre too slowly and she toppled on the rhs; new back pedal required.

Hope you get your bike back like new.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Last edited by JIS; Aug 7th, 2007 at 5:04 am.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 3:57 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheets
A good friend of mine tried to do me a favor and move my bike and ended up doing a controlled drop on the left side. My pristine 2003 K1200RS now has some scratches on the left fairing which can be painted, but unfortunately it also touched the aluminum valve cover down on the blacktop leaving some surface pitting/gouges.

I really want to put it back into the same shape it was before the mishap. Any suggestions? Can the valve cover be filled an repainted so that it looks like new?

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.
Fortunately an exact paint match isn't going to be so bad because the other cover is on the opposite side. You haven't said if there's actual damage, distortion, cracks or broken through to the inside? BMW 'paint' finish is pretty tough so I'd look at a powder coat finish. Scratches scan easily be filled before coating. I had my wheel rims done and I was pretty impressed with the finish, although the shop grumbled about how difficult it was to strip back the oem finish. If you decide on this route you could have both of them done at the same time, but keep a record of the paint code in case you need it again.

I might also see what a boneyard can come up with. Perhaps get the original fixed as a spare for next time!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:27 am
Veteran

A new replacement is just over $200.00. It might be better to go that route in the long run.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:03 am

valve cover damage - dropped at 0 MPH

Bummer for sure. I make a "Get Me Home" shifter kit that might be of interest to you if there's any damage to the shift linkage. You can see the kit in the member's gallery section under my stage name.

Good luck on the fix to the cover...I too have an 03 K1200rs. What a bike.

Steve
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheets
bike and ended up doing a controlled drop on the left side.
I guess, I haven't heard of a "controlled drop." Is this something different than an "uncontrolled drop?"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner
I guess, I haven't heard of a "controlled drop." Is this something different than an "uncontrolled drop?"
A controlled drop simply results in a lot of cursing, for the most part. An uncontrolled drop typically results in some sort of injury, whether it be to clothing or body.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm

I would think there would be a lot of cursing be it either a controlled/uncontrolled drop followed by a loss of cash out of your wallet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
A new replacement is just over $200.00. It might be better to go that route in the long run.
Good way to go. Dropped my wifes RS a couple of years ago and replaced her cover and panel and two cockpit panels along with a shifter and mirror. Have the cover replaced at the next service no biggie.

Good luck - FlagGS

Cost for total repair $2500. Happy wife "priceless".
Rest of the story - told the insurance company "the wind blew it over". Only $1000 deductible. Don't em tell I did it!

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT

Last edited by FlagGS; Aug 7th, 2007 at 7:07 pm.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:42 pm
Addict

Well yeah, there is the money aspect, but since I was traumatized by a personal experience along this line, I...decided....not to.....mention that......

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode