Old vs. New - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:33 am Thread Starter
aal

Old vs. New

I am trying to decide between a 2002 k1200rs that's available, or perhaps looking to find another 2002-2004 one, or possibly getting a new k1200r sport. I've not ridden either bike, but have ridden the new k1200s, and have had a couple of previous r bikes. I like the look of the rs over the new bikes, and of course they're less expensive. But, I think the new brakes are probably to my liking. The older model has plenty of power for me, so that's not really a consideration. I'm mostly interested in a bike that will ride comfortably at freeway speeds for a few hours or so, but also handle well at low speeds around town. So, can anyone give me any insight on how the rs and the r sport might compare? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 7:01 am

Cool

Don't do as I did but you may do as I would do in the future---I just jumped on a "00 K12RS as it was priced right and perfect stock --but if I was shopping I'd look at the guys that have a RS in the years from '99 -----'02 there are just hundreds that report great miles of good riding and no problems like you hear about on '03-'04 models and all the seal problems??? I really believe that the older bike was well sorted --last June I put 3427 miles and didn't put a half cup of oil in her to top off ----the luggage braket screws loosened up a bit ----does it get any better than that ? jim Did I mention how beautiful that bike is? She turns heads every time we go out on the street!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:11 am
JIS

Any chance of testing bot bikes? Certainly it's easy to test a (new) K1200R Sport. Of course they are very different bikes; the new K1200 motor is incredible powerful (I rode the K1200S) but it doesn't have the silky smoothness of the older RS and GT K models.

And then there's the price....

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:25 am

I also saw your post over at BMWRT... and in none of the replies yet has anyone mentioned the ergonomics.

You have not said your age, nor your riding style except to say a good bit of expressway etc.

IMO the S models are considerably more "Sport". The seating position is a lot more forward and down. You will have pressure on your wrists. If this is what you are coming from and like, you will be happy. I was not. I went for a 98 K12RS and even then modified it to raise the bars and bring the grips back.

But then, I am a touring type of guy, no commuting here. I do like the bike (the RS) in traffic. It is nimble, and easy.

JMO...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:08 pm Thread Starter
aal

Thanks for all the comments. As far as ergonomics, I can say I was fine with my 1150rt, although I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been so up right. I've never had or been a fan of real sport bike ergonomics. In fact, the bike I've always been most comfortable with is a HD softail. The more I think about the bikes, I think my decision will have to come down to whether I want to put more emphasis on freeway riding or around town riding. If it is for the freeway, it sounds like the rs is better. I did feel more comfortable around town, with stop and go, with the K 1200 s as opposed to the 1150 rt. I think it was the combination of the lower weight and less touchy brakes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 8:29 pm
Enthusiast

Despite the S having more sportier ergos than the KRS, both my wife and I find our S more cormfortable on long trips than our KRS. We both get shoulder pain and leg cramps on the KRS but no problems with the S. At first, I was not sure about the S (I had a KRS too, previously) but after some significant miles, we both prefer the S. The K1200R has slightly higher bars, my wife is thinking about a K1200R-Sport too.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode