Dealer damage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Dealer damage

Apologies in advance of depressing some of you with this but I need somewhere to get this out...
I received a call from my BMW dealer this morning, the service manager left a voicemail saying to call him it was "urgent".
My IMMACULATE 2004 Blue/White K1200RS (and I really mean immaculate not a scrape anywhere) ... had been dropped by the technician while in for a warranty claim on a brake switch...

The right hand panel, right brake lever, right foot lever, right foot peg plate, rear foot peg, belly pan, and even the right hand cyclinder cover (how they hit that I'll never know) all need to be replaced.

I was so shocked to hear him tell the saga that I almost couldn't speak... as I pour over this bike to polish and keep it new... oh yeah the twist grip for the throttle is also a gonner.

According to the service mgr they are at about $2K in dealer cost for the replacements, which is not my concern however to be fair to them the owner said they would replace absolutely anything that had a mark on it as they knew how prestine the bike was.

My worry is that the right hand bar may have taken a lot of the weight in the fall as the twist grip is really rough and the brake lever snapped off... they said they would examine everthing before getting me back the bike but I need to be sure the bar is ok, any recommendations on how to test?

I realise that drop overs are common but you never expect to hear that from your dealer and unfortunately this dealer has already replaced the wind shield and the left fairing panel from previous damage they did (I thought ligthning wouldn't strike....)

thanks for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:01 pm
Addict-oholic

I am sure that they will do the right thing. I would not worry about any "hidden" problems as the dealer will see that your bike is as good as new.
Recently my dealer went to bat for me after a dump while moving to avoid bambi. The dealer called up my insurance company to replace anything that even looked like a scratch. I now have a few extra parts that just needed a little cleaning.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:26 pm

I don't think it's any big deal. They are going to replace everything with new parts. Sounds like you basically get a half brand new bike on their tab. Heck, to me that sounds pretty good. Give them a little guilt trip, you may get your next service done for free as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 5:51 pm

with that kind of damage report for a 'tipover' it kinda' sounds like it might have took a dive off of the mechanic's bike lift.... in which case I would also look at fork/steering head alignment and damage to bar mounts, triple clamps, etc ... the first ride after delivery should be on a straight, flat level road; get it up to speed and carefully remove both of your hands from the bars... if the bike veers off to the side or exhibits any unpleasant behavior (wobble, headshake, unsteadiness, etc) immediately ride back to the dealer and demand they check all alignments and fork/steering head components for 'hidden' damage... good luck...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 2007, 5:59 pm
Veteran

Least they didn't try and say "It was like that when we got it so you must have done it."

Heard that on some Harley board where the dealer was claiming the dent in the guy's tank was done by him and not his mechanic.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 8:55 am

Frankly,

and Shirley too,

I would not be nearly as forgiving as I'm reading in this thread and here's why:

The damage that you describe is not a simple, standing drop IMO. The bike came off the rack or lift and that translates to a 10-15 mph hit. The dealer did as much damage as if they took your bike for a ride and smacked it into another object.

I would be following up with BMWNA and filing some significant paperwork for compensation. I would never recommend nor take my bike to that dealer, ever.

JMHO
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFidel
Frankly,

and Shirley too,

I would not be nearly as forgiving as I'm reading in this thread and here's why:

The damage that you describe is not a simple, standing drop IMO. The bike came off the rack or lift and that translates to a 10-15 mph hit. The dealer did as much damage as if they took your bike for a ride and smacked it into another object.

I would be following up with BMWNA and filing some significant paperwork for compensation. I would never recommend nor take my bike to that dealer, ever.

JMHO

Thats the way- sue the bastards! Its the American way.

On the other hand you could take heed of the good advice already given by some and have your bike repaired properly by the dealer and continue to have a hopefully productive relationship.

You are the only person amongst us who has met with the dealer/mechanic and observed their attitude (or lack of) about your situation. I assume you already have a good relationship with the dealer so perhaps this can be maintained after this incident is finalised.
Accidents do happen, no one did this intentionally to your bike, so as long as you are satisfied with the result don't go stressing about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode