Is my GT the worst - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 5:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Is my GT the worst

In 30 months my 04 GT has had two sets of front discs. Camchain /tenshier. Drive shaft pivot bearings. Engine output oil seal [ big job ] Now bits of metal in oil going in for investigation. This bike has 26,000m and pampered .Looks like bike I love will have to go don,t know what I would change it for new GT fills vibey and crude wether protection pour by conparisun . DO I hope things get better or visit my honda dealer my 33 year old CB 750 K2 is far more reliable. ps in the UK we only get 2 years warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 5:28 am
Addict

my next one will be a honda

for some reason, the japanese have captured the quality thing. i think my next bike will be an st1300 or small gold wing. germans and americans just aint getting it done quality wise. my '04kgt already had all seals replaced twice in 35k miles. ride bike like a baby and maintain it well. the brand name thing doesnt mean dick to me anymore, i want quality.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 6:43 am
JIS

What I want to know is what do BMW say? This bike is but 3 years old and has done very few miles. For a bike of this engine size, 26k miles is only nicely run-in; not ready for the knackers yard! :wtf Can't help but feel nervous though as my 03 GT approaches 20k miles with all (currently) perfect. (Although I did notice that the auto-cancelling indicators suddenly started to work - whereas previously they did not !)

I would have thought that BMW would have much to say and do to your bike. Let us know how you get on please.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 9:28 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
(Although I did notice that the auto-cancelling indicators suddenly started to work - whereas previously they did not !)
I noticed mine sometimes does, sometimes not. Can't figure out the proper combination of conditions to make it work, either.

Oh well, doesn't matter. On all of my previous motos I had to manually cancel the turn signal anyway....

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 3:28 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
for some reason, the japanese have captured the quality thing. i think my next bike will be an st1300 or small gold wing. germans and americans just aint getting it done quality wise. my '04kgt already had all seals replaced twice in 35k miles. ride bike like a baby and maintain it well. the brand name thing doesnt mean dick to me anymore, i want quality.
The interesting thing about Japanese design is they often tool up for one good 'do everything' part, whereas everybody else seems to still have this mentality that you need something designed like Leggo - lots of bits and a worse performer since you still only need one weak or badly designed part.

Are the Japs still using Nitrile rubber gaskets? I liked those, never an oil leak anywhere.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Enthusiast

I guess it depends on the bike? My '03 has almost 23k miles on it and the only 'major' issue has been the clutch slave cylinder. Everything else has been wear and tear items... Tires every 6k miles on the rear, new rear brake at 13k, regular service intervals. It did have the tensioner done a little while ago, but that was because I was complaining of a new noise and they thought it was the cam chain or tensioner. It didn't fix the issue so they didn't charge me for it.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode