Re-fitting the Laminar LIP - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2007, 2:20 am Thread Starter
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
Re-fitting the Laminar LIP

I fitted the Laminar LIP to my K12GT just over 2 months ago. Since then I have ridden around 2500 miles. I fitted the LIP so that the lip protruded around 1½“ above the standard screen.
What I found was that whilst the wind noise and turbulence was definitely reduced, it was still not as good as it was claimed to be. I know this because, if I ducked down around 4”, the wind noise disappeared and was much better!
So, I have now removed the LIP and propose to fit it even higher. However this would mean replacing the adhesive “Dual Lock” lower down. Specifically the top (#1) Dual Lock on each side would need to come down to below the current #2 on each side. This would then allow me to raise the LIP so that it protrudes perhaps 4” above the current screen.
Two things worry me; firstly, whether the LIP (and the adhesive Dial Locks) can handle this increased “pressure” and secondly, I seem to recall someone saying that the Laminar LIP shouldn’t be considered as a physical block to the air and that it needs to be fitted lower down to ensure that its aerodynamics work effectively…?
I have tried all variations using the electronic screen adjuster but, in anything but the highest position I get wind noise and buffeting.
Any thoughts from you guys using the LIP ?

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:02 pm
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: , , US
Posts: 100
John,

The laminar lip is almost useless, in my opinion. Last year I sold an almost new KRS because of the annoying wind noises. But because I missed the bike so much I went to buy a 2003 KGT within a year, but this time around I installed an Aeroflow Touring windshield. This killed the wind noise to about 90% with the shileld in the low position. I also installed a Sargent seat which lowered my position of about 1". No more wind noises now, but the bike doesn't look too sporty anymore. Nevertheless I'm pretty happy now because I can ride longer than 30 minutes without getting a head aches.

I wouldn't higher the lip much if I was you because the pressure will snap off the lip causing you an accident, perhaps. Just get a taller windshield and you solve the problem.

Good luck,

Pier

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
pier1 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 3:51 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: , , UK
Posts: 3,750
The wind force due to the lips extra height is already pushing the mounts as far as they can go in my opinion. You're also still using the sane angle as the original mount and I think if you go a lot taller you need less of an angle- which is what the aftermarket screens do.

Many have drilled holes their screen and fixed the lip with a nut and bolt, to avoid the Velcro locks coming apart.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
voxmagna is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2007, 4:48 am Thread Starter
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
The wind force due to the lips extra height is already pushing the mounts as far as they can go in my opinion. You're also still using the sane angle as the original mount and I think if you go a lot taller you need less of an angle- which is what the aftermarket screens do.

Many have drilled holes their screen and fixed the lip with a nut and bolt, to avoid the Velcro locks coming apart.
To be honest, the Dual-Locks have been brilliant and have been rock solid. But your point is completely valid. Yes I can remount the LIP by drilling the screen which may be the best option anyway, because if I end up buying the Aeroflow screen then my old screen will be superfluous anyway.
But the real question remains; will mounting the LIP even higher resolve the problem or will it merely try to act as a wind barrier as opposed to an aerofoil (per the design)? I am still waiting for Leo at Laminar to reply (but he may be on holiday) !

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:42 pm
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
I tried the lip in 3 possitions. I have barbacks, seat in the lower possition and an 5'11".

flush with the centre of the screen. 1 inch above the screen and 2 inches above the screen.
I found that at 2 inch's the screen vibrated and there was some turbulance. The protection from the lip was about the same as it was at 1 inch. At 1 inch the turbulance was reduced. At flush the turbulance was reduced about the same amount as at 1 inch.
The best for me was having the lip at 1 inch above the screen and the screen raised to half way. When i raise the screen all the way up I get some turbulance and the screen vibrates but the protection is better. I have to say that I expected better but the lip has helped.
aus1200gt is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2007, 3:37 am
Member
 
GJBushman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Montgomery Village, MD, USA
Posts: 76
it's ok for me

Mine is mounted about 1 inch above the top of the screen. It works well. Never, never, never have I had a problem with the velcro coming loose. And I've been at sustained speeds for many miles. I bought my GT screen used and the lip was already attached. So I have never really done any tinkering with its position. I always wear earplugs so noise has never really been an issue. I have ridden without the lip attached and there is a definate improvement with the lip in place. I'm happy with the lip.

Jamie

Last edited by GJBushman; Aug 18th, 2007 at 3:39 am. Reason: typo
GJBushman is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2007, 1:06 am Thread Starter
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
What I found was that whilst the wind noise and turbulence was definitely reduced, it was still not as good as it was claimed to be. I know this because, if I ducked down around 4”, the wind noise disappeared and was much better!
Don't get me wrong, the LIP does make a useful improvement but, as my quote above makes clear, I have noticed that if I dip my head a few inches, the wind hitting the top of my helmet stops.

I just want to find a way to "lock in" that lack of turbulence without having to dip my head ! Simple as that.

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2007, 2:48 am
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Don't get me wrong, the LIP does make a useful improvement but, as my quote above makes clear, I have noticed that if I dip my head a few inches, the wind hitting the top of my helmet stops.

I just want to find a way to "lock in" that lack of turbulence without having to dip my head ! Simple as that.
aeroflow. It's very effective.
eyesurgeon is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2007, 9:31 am Thread Starter
JIS
Senior Member
 
JIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesurgeon
aeroflow. It's very effective.
Hmmmm; that's an expensive move......

Thanks but ....

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
JIS is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:50 am
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Hmmmm; that's an expensive move......

Thanks but ....
Expensive, agreed, but the windshield is the biggest factor when it comes to comfort on this bike for many people. It's an expensive bike. For some people it makes the difference between enjoying the bike and tolerating it.
eyesurgeon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminar Lip Beemer01 Other K-Bikes Discussion 9 Apr 14th, 2011 12:09 pm
Laminar LIP Coastie K12/1300R/R-Sport 10 Mar 15th, 2009 4:49 pm
Laminar Lip Lucky88 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 10 Oct 10th, 2006 2:40 pm
Laminar Lip install location jChevy04k1200rs K1200RS/GT (Classic) 3 Apr 1st, 2006 7:50 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome