HID headlight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

HID headlight

I'd like to convert the headlight on my 2000 RS to HID. I've heard they are illegal in some states. I've looked for conversion parts or kits but not seeing too much on line. Are they not available? Anyone out there done this? Where can I get some information or advice?
Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:12 pm
Looking for better limits...

Click on the "Search" button, then on "Advanced Search"
Type in HID Headlight in the "Key Word(s)" search box, then select K1200RS/GT (Classic) in the "Search in Forum(s)". Click on "Search Now" and you're good to go...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:36 am
Just saying hey

I am also looking at HID but maybe just for the dipped beam

Have a look here
http://www.fashtek.com/?gclid=CLDtve...FSXjEAod_zepRA

http://www.xenonshop.co.uk/

And particularly here (if you've got a canbus system)
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-accessories.html

There are some slimline ballasts around

One pertinent point seems to be that the 4300K and 5000K (White) output bulbs produce significantly more visible light, and the 6000K > 12000K bulbs are progressively lower output and possibly shorter lifespan and in the UK potentially illegal.

The one retailer I emailed said they would do a mixed kit for H7 + H1 or the like for a bike.

I would really like comments as a response from people who have used and compared HID with standard bulbs. I have a 'Ring' 50% brighter H7 dipped, but after main beam, it's like someone switched out the lights..lol...

And can anyone comment on the UV effect on any plastic components ??? (can't use high UV output on my car because it has plastic lenses). For all I know the UV ouput on standard bulbs could be much worse than HID, so I'll show my ignorance by asking if anyone is any the wiser???

I did the 'HID' search Razel suggested, but I would like to hear comments about colour temperature comparison from anyone who has used 4300 or 5000 or 6000 bulbs with original main beam.. thanks...

Last edited by McQuaterX; Aug 23rd, 2007 at 5:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:21 pm

Hid

I installed a 5000K HID kit on my 2003 K12RS found here:

http://www.cqlight.ca/index.php?cPath=31_65

Others on this site have installed this kit as well. Its been about a year and so far I am statisfied. This is the kit that many bought on the "group buy". I don't generally ride at night so night visabilty is not a big issue for me. It lights me up pretty well during the day (once you get the height adjusted correctly).

Jamie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 2:32 am
Addict

I've got 6K lamps because I wanted better daylight visibility. I wanted to stand out and that's what they do.

On the subject of legality, many Korean import cars and high end models are now supplied with 6K which you can tell by the blueness in their light. I suspect the legality of aftermarket modifications is a grey area anyway and don't forget no H lamp conversion will ever get a oem DOT approval. As far as I know, only the factory fitted BMW HID is 'legal' if it's accepted by countries that import those bikes. If your housing reflector, lens and ballasts are approved and the lamp is replaceable (e.g D2S/R) then it's likely to conform to EU lighting regulations.

Perhaps you have to choose between being absolutely legal to the letter, being seen and safe?

The drop in output is small up to 6K. All HID bulbs rise in color temperature as they age. It's worth having your lights put on a beam tester after a conversion. In my case they said the aim was a bit low! at least if the light aim meets the rules but the color doesn't, you are part way to being legal and less likely to blind oncoming traffic.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 5:35 am
Just saying hey

This is for the benefit of fellow UK Kbikers only... I know nothing of the US legisaltion..

And don't pass this on to the boys in blue.. not that I've ever come across any that could answer any construction and use questions and in particular lighting regs...

I like to ride within the law, but lighting regs make my K1200RS lights illegally set because of the dipping requirements for a headlight at the height mine is. The dip angle cut off is higher because the headlight centre is >850mm from the ground,the cut off goes up from 1.25% to 2.75
I fitted an H7 Xenon bulb (filament) which I use to light up an extra 20yards (at the same intensity of the original). I then decided to check the Bike regulations before my next MOT. The standard bulb is good for about 50 yards which is where the MOT requirements would have the UPPER limit if you stuck to regs. Setting my beam to have the lower assymetric line cut off at 75/80 yards should be an MOT failure, but I haven't hinted at this anomaly to the testers (basically shorter bikes can be legal up to the setting i'm on). 50 yards is NOT a safe cut off to ride within.. my cars and bike are all set to around 80yards which is about the 'safe' stopping distance at 60mph...If I want legal dipped beam driving lamps with a range of 80 yards, I would have to mount them below 850mm...
The colour of the light output should be white (as 'legally defined') and the 6000K lamps are borderline by definition..but I am prepared to use whichever gives me the best combination of 'see and be seen'(just not sure which that is, but 6000 seems to have consensus of opinions)..
As far as I can tell the main beam is now set perfectly level and gives an X + spot beam which now illuminates everything for half a mile, so I'm not prepared to lower the dip unless it's just for the day of an MOT test....
And finally... I am just about to read the EEC regs as they apply to the UK, but going from UK legisaltion, any LED or HID lights are definetly illegal . LED and HID are technically illegal (OR are exempt from Wattage restrictions depending on your interpretation), because UK legislation specifically referers to power limitations by 'filament', which of course LED and HID don't have.

So:: I CHOOSE SEE and BEING SEEN and BEING SAFE
(just like to know how far I can argue my way out with the cops when they stop me...lol..)

PS I thought aftermarket HID conversions on bikes in EC were legal, but not cars???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights_diagram1.gif
Views:	39
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5995  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 6:33 am
Addict

McQuaterX, Yes what you say is my pragmatic approach. If you are so stupid as to ride with lights not meeting the mot regs, then you deserve to get stopped and be asked questions.

The question of UK legality as far as I know really refers to the Vehicle lighting regs as they apply to new vehicles. These are the stringent rules that are passed when you buy a new vehicle. From memory, those rules always specified a lens washer and suspension linked levelling for fitted HID and you don't have those on a bike. But it reminds you to keep your bike headlight clean, because the diffraction from HID on a dirty lens is a bigger problem. The KRS headlight is in a different category to dip beam lights. It's described as 'Steep side cutoff' or something like that. Basically it means the dip beam is straight ahead with left and right cuts, which work because they put effort into the reflector design.

From what I could discover, the UK MOT rules are a slimmed down version of the oem builders regs which say lights must not blind and give the correct pattern. I don't think the average MOT tester could tell the difference between 6K and 4K lamps, he's only interested in the pattern on the board.

Just for interest, you see a lot of Hardleys in UK with PIAA auxiliaries fitted. When I waded through the regs it would seem impossible to fit these legally, since auxiliary lights for bikes can only be a few inches away from the main. That makes the GS OK.

My pragmatic approach is to get aim and coverage legal, don't annoy oncoming, use HID main sparingly and hope that the rule makers will one day recognise that bike fatalities can be reduced by the greater visibility which HID gives at the higher color temperatures.

PS, you can have any light fixed to your helmet or clothing powered from its own power source. It's legal because it's not a 'part of the vehicle'. I have a rear flashing cycle led I can push into a loop I stitched on the collar of my riding jacket. I use it in mist, fog, or quiet unlit roads late at night. You can see it for miles. You can switch it off for times when you don't want or need the visibility.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:13 am

Cool

hey Joseph---I to have a 2000 RS and I personally installed the CQ HID all by myself --followed the instructions and I did have the tupperware off at the time too ---really fairly easy install---worth the money ? I would tell to do it---makes you much more visible in the day and you can see so much better at night--- IMHO much worthwhile improvement--follow others advice and don't go blue 4300 K is quite bright JD
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:41 am
Addict

HID Conversion

Try these guys too www.schoolhousemcacc.com. They sell the Uni-Go trailers talk to Mark, he's the electronic wizard.
They were doing conversions as of last year, July, when I picked up my Uni-Go.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaterX
I am also looking at HID but maybe just for the dipped beam
Makes sense to me to have HID only for the dipped/low beam for two reasons. First, flashing the main/high is useless, as it takes a bit of time for the beam to come on to full strength, and what ever it is you're flashing is probably going to go "huh?". Second, flashing the main/high is going to reduce the lamp life as the number of strikes the bulb takes is a factor in bulb life. If your riding includes a lot of on-time for the main/high beam, then it maybe worth while.

Now, if you can figure out how to mount some Soltek Fuego HID lamps (yeah, they're not cheap, but the view? This is a three shot comparison of an FJR low/dipped beam, high/main beam, and the Fuego) you'd be good for those lonely, unoccupied roads. You will probably have to remove them for MOT

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode