New Member here - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 8:28 am Thread Starter

New Member here

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum this am. After having as many as 10+ rides over the years, I finally took down a 2003 K1200RS with 8K miles on Sunday. Looks to be mint, in the White/Blue paint scheme. Looking forward to interracting with the other riders. Happy to be pushing a BMW, finally.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:06 am
Addict

Welcome

Hey Adam,
Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new BMW, that's a pretty one......... Black rules though. Don't be shy and ask away, someone in here will know, or at least pretend to know. I have an '02 RS at present and had an "00 KLT, beat the dog out of both of them. They love it and ask for more. Don't baby the bike but don't neglect it.
If you ride with shorts on, :wtf your legs will get hot. I learned that in here along with many other things. Just like if you walk on broken glass with no shoes, you will get cut. I learned that somewhere else.
Have fun, she's one lady that likes the abuse, followed by the pampering. ENJOY!

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 8:50 am

Cool

Something worth the $$$$--- a new copy of Clymer's manual----You will get a handle on what needs to be done and how to do it---and, like me, new to BMW ownership, there will be a lot "Ahasss!" like in now I know what that little dingy thing is!! Fear not the maintance! Just think how good it will feel to know you did it and did it right!--A good tire guage is worth it's weight in gold! do a good review of past service and make sure nothing has been neglected---look over the battery and the connections ---and so you don't learn the expensive way---like I did, remove the gear shift lever and clean it and flush the bolt hole and re-install with a touch of blue lock tight! My thinking here is that it probably has never been off and you may look to see if any loc-tight was used ever---finding that part missing a 150 miles from home is not fun! Oh, and before I forget, Farkles!!! Tricking up your ride is like making her sexy! Enjoy! JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 11:29 am Thread Starter

So last night I went over her witha fine tooth comb. Tightened everything to spec, cleaned everything perfectly, set the tire pressure, fresh tank of gas, etc. This am I rode her to work, about 35 varying miles. I've had many bikes the last one being an SV1000 naked and a FatBoy prior to that. Here are some observations...the word "Substantial" is the forst thing that comes to mind. Heavy, but surefooted, a big machine, but it handles it's size well. This, is a lotta bike! It's got a Remus Titanium full exhaust on it, and it was nice listening to it in the mid to upper RPM range. It's a highly capable cruiser...just rolling along at a nice clip. I definitely feel the weight, but I somehow like it. I LOVE the look of it, the White/Blue color combo, VERY BMW. I like the simple, but logical instrument panel. I especially like how the tach is slightly larger than the speedo, simple, but effective. Teutonic. Braking is solid, especially for a heavy bike. Ergos are, still a bit too forward for this mid 40's body, even with the bars adjusted back, the footpegs down, and the seat in the low position. It's my first bike with a fairing/windshield...highly useful and speed. Overall, I really like it a lot, just need to get it set up a bit more upright for me. Any thoughts/viewpoints are much appreciated...thanks in advance.

Adam
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Enthusiast

Welcome aboard! She's gonna treat you right! I find I use third gear the most in the twisties, using the engine to slow me down when necessary. The engine has plenty of power so don't baby her too much!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:06 am
Addict

Riding Position

Ergos are, still a bit too forward for this mid 40's body, even with the bars adjusted back, the footpegs down, and the seat in the low position. It's my first bike with a fairing/windshield...highly useful and speed. Overall, I really like it a lot, just need to get it set up a bit more upright for me.

Hey Adam,
I had a R1100R and a KLT before I purchased my KRS. I bought bar-backs to duplicate the riding position of these past two but my fight was futile. I'm back to the stock lay down and I like it far better than Bar-Backs. I'm also 50 yrs. old, age only, and it took me a little while for my body to adjust, but it did. I feel the bike responds better to input when your in the factory position. The biggest thing is the steering is quicker. With the bars in factory position and a set of Internal Covers from BMW http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47828 (The page is already set for your GT. Click on Frame/Fairing then go to Diagram#46_0714, item 5. Part no's. 46637659301 & 302), the wind protection is greatly improved. Especially good with the cooler temps. right around the corner. If your interested I'll send a few pics of my scoot. Take Care.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

I will definitely spend a lot of time on it before I make any ergo changes. I must say, after putting 100 miles on it yesterday....I LOVE IT! I'm finally beginiing to "get" what all BMW riders seem to know. I'm all smiles.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Hey Adam!

It seems you are enjoying my old bike!!!

Take care,

Joe
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Joe, I cannot thank you enough! I love this bike...I'm really learning all about the feel of it. Lotta bike, you have to respect it, but the payoff is like no other! You're a very good man, I fully appreciate everything you did for me on this!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 8:15 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atweis
Ergos are, still a bit too forward for this mid 40's body, even with the bars adjusted back, the footpegs down, and the seat in the low position.

Adam
Give the ergos a little time. I thought the same thing when I got mine, I didn't think I was going to be able to ride the bike set up stock. After about a week I started to break in to the bike and now I won't want to ride any other way. Your first impressions of the bike are very similar to mine and I can assure you it will only get better. Enjoy your new ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode