Preemptive engine seal replacement??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:35 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Preemptive engine seal replacement???

My 02 now has more than 40k on the clock.

Should I preemptively replace the seals that have been failing on these bikes this winter??

Anything else I should do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 9:39 am
Will ride for picts

I wouldn't. If its not leaking, don't mess with it. If it does start next year, you can typically go months before you notice the clutch slipping. I know some folks that have gone over a year from the time they noticed the seep until they replaced the seals.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:52 am
Veteran

I wouldn't do it now either. Mine only leaked a few drops in the belly pan. It was replaced under warranty at 16K miles. If it ever does leak, I doubt it will leak to the point that you could not ride it until it was fixed when you had time and $$.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Addict

Leave well alone until you have a good reason to go inside. Even if the clutch gets oiled up, you're not saving much $$'s by waiting, since you'ld probably change the clutch slave and disc anyway.

In my case I had the rear drive to pull apart, oil starting to fall in the boot from the tranni seal, plenty of time and patience. That triggered me to do everything and some more in one hit. You're right to think about these things and adding items to a 'to do list' gets you prepared. If you're planning long trips away or the bike made it through the riding season with a developing oil leak, then doing work when it's layed up gives you the time without losing riding.

As others said, the bike is unlikely to fail completely on these problems suddenly. I got 1K from a wearing rear drive bearing and seal leak and probably could have gone to 3K. It's always better to be informed about something and watch rather than ride in ignorance. Just keep checking oil levels and leaks more often than dealer 6K services. I had a timing cover leak for 15K miles, it never got worse but did help keep the front swingarm bearings oiled.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the information..

Will wait until symptoms develop.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 12:27 pm

I've had one rear main seal fixed at 39000 miles courtesy of BMW and the latest one is on me at 112000 miles. This time I waited 35000 miles until the clutch began to slip. Thats my recommendation. Unless it's under warranty, wait until the clutch begins to fail.

Cheers,
Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 4:12 am

oil seal ~ prevention

Since these seals seem a weak spot, I have always taken to changing engine oil very frequently, every 2,500 mls, and always if the bike is about to be laid up for a period over the winter. I figure that its probably acid (any combustion products e.g. nitrous oxides, CO2 and SO2 that disolve in the oil and come into contact with water molecules will form oxidising acids) that build in engine oil and attack the rubber in the seal. Plus removing any particiles suspended in the oil prevents abrasion occuring.

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

What other problems in the 112000 miles???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmosey
I've had one rear main seal fixed at 39000 miles courtesy of BMW and the latest one is on me at 112000 miles. This time I waited 35000 miles until the clutch began to slip. Thats my recommendation. Unless it's under warranty, wait until the clutch begins to fail.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan,

What other problems have you had in the over 100k miles you've had your bike??

Lar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode