Can you ride too easy? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 7:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Can you ride too easy?

This beast has so much power that I rarely feel the need to take it into the high revs, i just shift to go faster. Am I hurting it by not running in the upper rpm range?
'02krs - blue - fast enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2007, 7:25 pm

I try and ride nice but then some dumbass harley rider comes along and I have to embarrass him. A little flick of the wrist and I am GONE.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 1:43 am

I have a 98 K1200rs in dakar yellow and I ride within my limits and the bikes, I dont push too hard but then again I dont get in the way.

Clutchless gearchanges are the way to go if you can master it, nice and smoooooth.

As for the upper rev range, never really had the need to use it as the torque from most gears is enough. I know it's there if I need it and it's nice to know that if I wanted to I can hit 160mph but I dont, 3rd and 4th gears are good accelerating gears but you can hit legal speeds in these so give it a wee blast now and again but dont let it get the better of you

Sports bike riders tend to hit the upper rev ranges and burry the needle in the red but valves dont like bouncing in that range for toooo long, I should know as I used to do it haha.

Ride it enjoy it respect it because it will bite you if you missuse it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 3:39 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandy
I have a 98 K1200rs in dakar yellow and I ride within my limits and the bikes, I dont push too hard but then again I dont get in the way.

Clutchless gearchanges are the way to go if you can master it, nice and smoooooth.

As for the upper rev range, never really had the need to use it as the torque from most gears is enough. I know it's there if I need it and it's nice to know that if I wanted to I can hit 160mph but I dont, 3rd and 4th gears are good accelerating gears but you can hit legal speeds in these so give it a wee blast now and again but dont let it get the better of you

Sports bike riders tend to hit the upper rev ranges and burry the needle in the red but valves dont like bouncing in that range for toooo long, I should know as I used to do it haha.

Ride it enjoy it respect it because it will bite you if you missuse it.
That's about how I'd put it and remember we don't have the same kind of opportunities with UK roads that others may have.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about 'being at ease' and personally I find the KRS needs quite a lot of concentration due it's power. If I've not ridden mine for a couple of weeks I have to get back into a tuned state of readiness. I know mine runs to the red but rarely use it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:00 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerhead
This beast has so much power that I rarely feel the need to take it into the high revs, i just shift to go faster. Am I hurting it by not running in the upper rpm range?
'02krs - blue - fast enough
If you baby them when they are new, you won't seat the rings properly, and the bike may use oil. If the rings have seated, then I don't think it would bother the engine too much. Although I would bump it against the limiter now and again just to blow out any accumulated carbon.

But I gotta ask, with the roads available to you in Colorado, why aren't you riding the snot out of it? Poudre River, Rist Canyon, Peak-to-Peak highway, Left Hand Canyon, the list goes on and on. When I lived there, I couldn't keep the bike out of the rev limiter.

If I were just going to putt-putt around, then I would seriously consider switching to an R-bike. You'll love the torque, and it doesn't rev nearly as high, and the bikes are a bit lighter. Sounds like it might be a better fit...

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 11:21 am
Addict

Baby It?

HELL YEAH you'll kill it!!! Let the Bitch EAT!! Beat-It, Pamper-It, Beat-It, Pamper-It Repeat. If they were built to look at they would have H-D on the side of it. BMW motorcycles can take it. They're like women, the nicer you treat them the more they crap on you. There are exceptions, I play the percentages. Treat them with authority and they'll be around for a long time.
Please don't let the bike suffer a "slow" painful death.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 2:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

wrong impression

Ok guys, don't get me wrong, I do go fast, and I do not putt around. I just like the lower end of the rev line. rhhall, when you lived here there must not of been a cop around every corner. I ride those roads all the time, and enjoy them, but can't let fines eat a hole in my pocket.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 3:43 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerhead
Ok guys, don't get me wrong, I do go fast, and I do not putt around. I just like the lower end of the rev line. rhhall, when you lived here there must not of been a cop around every corner. I ride those roads all the time, and enjoy them, but can't let fines eat a hole in my pocket.
I only received one motorcycle ticket in my 14 years in Colorado, on my way to work one morning: 110 in a 75 near the Windsor exit on I-25! Yep, I was on the GT.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 9:50 pm

I find the power band on this bike so wide that I can just play around within +/- a gear from 3rd when I am in the twisties around the house. At peak I am running around 4-6000 rpm when pushing it. I find that on these type roads there really is no need to constantly shift gears to facilitate having enough power with the K12RS. Hopefully this will keep wear on the clutch down as well.

Just because you have all that rev range available doesn't mean that you have to use it all the time. Simple logic will tell you the more revs you have per mile the more engine wear you will have.

Initially when I first got the bike I would keep the revs pretty low and just shift gears a lot. Part of that was just practice to get used to the bike. The bike will pull even at low revs, though at times it seems that you could back yourself into a corner.

It's all really just personal preference.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 11:59 am
JIS

I like this thread
Although Voxmagna is correct when he says that we have fewer opportunities in UK roads; what he's saying (I think) is that we can't really open them up in 6th. However, whilst most of the time I use 4000-5000 rpm in 3rd and 4th, I do have my favourite road where, from a 30mph limit, we go to a 60 limit and I just love to wind her on from 2nd to 3rd - and hear her wail

Great great bike; Why don't BMW make them any more; they're MAD (the new GT's not ha;f as nice IMHO)

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode