LeftHand Bends - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

LeftHand Bends

Ive switched to a K1200RS from a ZX6, while I dont expect the same handling is it normal for left hand bends to require much more rider input to get around them compared to r/h cornering? The bike falls into r/h bends smoothly, on lefts I really have to apply countersteer. any advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2007, 11:30 am
Addict

The Bends

Hey Peter,
I have the same problem, only mine is the opposite. I figured out that it's not the bike, it's me. My left foot-peg feeler is "slap wore out", (that's a southern term I picked up on, you figure it out call me) but the right one is only a little scraped off. I think I'm better on left's because I can trail brake better whereas in a right turn it's tough to brake because you're foot will be dragging. I'm usually on the ball of my foot depending what turn I'm making so I don't drag my boots. Check out your old bike(s) and see if you favor one turn to the other, look at the wear on the pegs. I did the same with my KLT.........a little.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:41 pm
Addict

Peter I don't see how old your K is or how many miles it has on it. But these K bikes will wear out the suspension in 20,000 miles and the bike handles badly.

I had an 02 that was not as good on left turns as right and at 22,000 miles I didn't like to ride the bike because of the suspension.
I traded it for a new 04. At 23,000 miles I put a set of Works shocks and handles great left or right.

I find that the K bikes need more ridder input because of the bikes weight and wheelbase. I just hang off in the turns to help the bike.

Note;
The K's before 03, used a 160 rear tire and the newer ones use an 180 rear tire and widder wheel. They also have a wheel spacer to offset the wheel. It seems to me the bigger wheel/tire makes the bike drift to the left most of the time.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

My RS is an 01 model with just 4500miles from new, it has a 180/55 17 rear, Interesting to hear about the offset rear wheel, would'nt this give the bike a weight bias on its right side, favouring r/h bends?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:54 pm

Hey peter, mine is a 98 with 14,000 on it and I dont notice any undue pulling or pushing in any corners but, I used to race a GSXR 1170 Yoshi special for 6 years and I tend to lean off of the bike in the bends, dont get my knee down on the roads as there is not any point but I do use my body to put weight where it is needed.

Try just useing the balls of yer feet on the pegs and not the sole of your boot.

Relax your arms and dont hold the grips toooooooooo hard as this can upset gyroscopic forces!

When cornering shift your bum slightly to the way you want to corner.
Have a straighter arm on the outside of the bend and a slightly bent arm on the inside and gently push to counter steer.

You may well be doing this allready without knowing.

And the big big thing is RELAX! enjoy what you are doing and pracxtice cornering.

My K12rs was so different to steer after many years of jap bikes and it takes a wee bit of practice. Also you have monolever and paralever suspension as well as ABS, well i do anyway.
I also have the bigger rear wheel 5.5" with a 180 section rear, ytre pressures play a big part on cornering too. I run slightly over inflated tyres about 3-4 psi extra in each and my bikes corners quite differently.

I am never going to have another jap bike again as I am now at one with my Beeeeeemer
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb
Ive switched to a K1200RS from a ZX6, while I dont expect the same handling is it normal for left hand bends to require much more rider input to get around them compared to r/h cornering? The bike falls into r/h bends smoothly, on lefts I really have to apply countersteer. any advice welcome.

Because everyone in your country drives on the LHS of the road, left hand bends are usually a tighter radius than right hand bends so require more effort to negotiate, also it would not surprise me if you write with your left hand. Your stronger hand/body side finds it easier to steer a certain way. Most of us have a preference for corners going a certain way- perhaps because you like to be on the inside or the outside of a bend or as I said more strength on one arm.

Countersteering is an automatic action that usually requires no thought (a bit like seeing a naked woman , you automatically stare) so even Harley riders can do it.

Lastly ,your tyres wear more on the RHS due to the camber of the road in your country so they square off more on the LHS of the tread requiring greater effort to turn left. A new front tyre will help alleviate this for a little while.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 6:59 pm

It may not be relevant to the original question, but the discussion above reminded me... in case you have forgotten the rear wheel is not in the center on these bikes, it is offset to the right to account for the fact that the engine is heavier on the left side...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:07 pm

When I got my bike (used) I noted that there was a lot more wear on the left handlbar grip than the right. At times it feels that I have to push more on the left for left hand turns.

You do really have to "concentrate" more on relaxing on this bike unitil it becomes second nature. Just try to keep as light a grip on handlebars as possible. The riding position is a bit different and initially is not conducive to being relaxed. I have been experimenting with different positions. For the most part it seems best not to think about what you have to do to ride it more than just see yourself going through the turns.

Who knows. This issue has been gone over many times. Do a search on the Master Yoda's Riding Postion.

Here is a link to one thread on the subject:

Master Yoda's Riding Position

Be Safe & Have Fun!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 9:42 pm
Addict

I think there is truth to everyone's perceptions,but my .02 is that I have more fear one way than the other,and thus,I don't look as far through the corner one way.It is a loss of nerve that causes me to tense up and lose the flow.
When I am relaxed,though Das Pig lets me know he is heavy,nonetheless,he steers neutrally both ways.I don't think shaft effect or the offset tire are significant.I would like to take some track days to lose the pucker factor of potentially meeting oncoming traffic in the wrong lane.

So ,my sense is,it is rider issues.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode