brakes caught on fire - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:55 am Thread Starter

brakes caught on fire

Sad for me my very first ride on my k1200rs, 2001 and my rear brakes caught my paralever boot on fire, warped my disc and melted my abs sensor wiring, good news is it happened 2miles from home, Ive got all the 600 dollar parts on order, I am just bummed about this happening on my first ride and on Labor day weekend, The weird thing is my rear brake lever was in the up position frozen like, the only way I could move the bike was to remove the rear master cylinder, I then got it to the shop and took the master cyclinder apart and noticed a binding spot in it, I reassembled it and set the tension to the clymers manual with a .008 feeler gauge to snug, any one expeirince one of these....matthew
O by the way, the dealor just flushed the brakes last week???matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 5:05 am
Addict

Before you said you'd pulled the master cylinder apart I'd have gone another route. As these bikes age, the caliper piston seals harden up, you get corrosion behind the seals and they start to stick. In an overheat situation they just stick even harder and you get the rotor binding and a potential fire.

I hope you tested the caliper for sticking pistons and put in some new seals after your fire?

Bad luck on the first ride, but once you sort it you'll have a great bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:18 am

The corrosion problem according to my mechanic is why there is the change interval on the brake fluid. From my understanding the DOT 3 fluid will absorb & entrain moisture over time and this will cause the corrosion. Changing the fluid out on a regular basis is supposed to alleviate the corrosion problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 2:39 am Thread Starter

Calipers were fine, they move in and out easly but my rear master cylinder on the other hand moves internaly about 5/8 inch, the new one is 3/8 of travel??Matthew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode