KRS 'Pods' Fixed Forever!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 4:14 am Thread Starter
Addict

KRS 'Pods' Fixed Forever!!

I wonder sometimes about the myth of BMW engineering excellence when I meet something like the fixing arrangements for the earlier KRS signal indicator pods.

Anybody whose had their plastics off a few times knows that the 'basket fixings' are awful. They are difficult to align, the fingers break off, the pods vibrate, the repair cost involves a new oem back plate and rivets need drilling to repair the corner basket.

Well at last I've found a fix. It's untried at triple digits, but I have every confidence the pods will stay on the bike.

Each pod is fixed to the front frame with 3 spring baskets rivetted to the ABS pod backplate which align with 3 steel tapered and grooved pegs screwed into the front frame plate (M5). These pegs, although a bit stiff, can be easily removed with a hex driver from the key hole in the center. The spacing distance between the ABS backplate and steel frame surface is 14-15mm.

I bought 6 rare earth Neodymium magnets for around $40. They each have a spec. pull of 7.5 Kg (16.5lb) so that makes 22.5 Kg (49.6lb) per pod. The part number is F431N 20mm dia x 10mm thick with 5.2 c/sink. I checked one magnet pull with a spring balance and it was 8Kg. The pods are not directly in the frontal airstream, being partly protected by the front tupperware. If you try this and are apprehensive, fit a safety tiewrap behind the pod to the frame.

Magnets are strong in pull but weak in friction so you must prevent the mated magnet moving against the steel frame. I did this by shaping a 5mm long centralizing spigot on the magnet holding screw. If you have a lathe you could do a really pro job.

The only real work is with a bench or angle grinder (caution watch pinkeys!). The parts are A2 stainless steel. I took a couple of M5 nuts (one is a backnut for holding), threaded them on a 50mm long bolt then ground a 45 degree chamfer on the nut. When finished the nuts must rest in the magnet countersink hole flat or just below the surface. The 5mm end of the magnet fixing screw was reduced and rounded so it would pass through the 5mm tapped holes in the frame. During assembly the taper nut and backnuts were Loctited. The 4mm thick rubber backing washer provides the correct overall spacing and some vibration damping.

I shall be doing some 'testing' over the next few days, but I'm optimistic that at last of got rid of those awful BMW baskets.

CAUTION: I kid you not these magnets are VERY strong. 2 magnets will attract and jump together when 7" apart! In this event, the shock or dropping on to a hard surface can chip or crack them. keep them away from metal or filings, they will find anything and stick hard.

You can find Neodymium magnets on Ebay or your local supplier. I've used these 2 sources:

In case anybody is thinking about 3M dual locks, they have a good friction pull strength but only a pound or so to separate them.

www.first4magnets.com

www.e-magnetsUK.com

Vox

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Podparts.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaping work x6.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembled pod.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	6152  

Last edited by voxmagna; Sep 6th, 2007 at 4:24 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:53 am

KRS Pods: Don't Have A Clue What You're Talking About

03 K1200rs owner and absolutely clueless.

Please Help.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:36 am
Just saying hey

I think that 'KRS pods' are alien eggs that will eventually hatch and take over the world...

But I have been known to be wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Addict

.............Used up to year 2000, then they made the sporty front look a bit ugly like a Goldwing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
.............Used up to year 2000, then they made the sporty front look a bit ugly like a Goldwing.
Jealous!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:09 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperson
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

Jealous!
Definitely...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:53 pm

KRS Pods

OK,

I see now.

I see that I am very clueless, and no one's going to help.

conspiracy for sure.

Frisbee
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2007, 10:46 am
Addict

Its the turn signal holders on the early years.They used 3 spring clip thingys that went to shit pretty commonly.And were not available,you had to buy the whole bracket for some high price.And they seem to be loose all the time.Only good thing was you could pop them off for track day,save 3 pounds of weight.Might knock .000000013 seconds off your best time.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 9:06 am

Thumbs up KRS Pods: Now I Can Sleep At Night

Thanks for the answer, and now I understand. Nice Work on a solution.

No more restless brain syndrome at night. They have a pill for that right???
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Noob

So voxmagna, it's been over 2 years since your post about the magnets holding the pods on. Assuming you still have the K12RS, how are they holding up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in