Dumb headlamp question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:07 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dumb headlamp question

I'm here at work with no manual, so forgive me asking this...

I think my low beam is dead, but I'm not sure. Through the lens I can only see 2 bulbs. I assume the small one at the bottom is the parking light - is that right? The one in the middle comes on with the high beam switch OK. From the archives I can see that the high beam is not dual filament, so where the heck is the low beam? Or am I missing the whole point?

If the low beam is dead, what's the bulb spec?

Bike is a UK spec 2003 K1200GT.

Thanks,

IAn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:21 am
Addict

The low beam is hidden from the front and the light comes out of the left and right sides.

As you look at the front there are what looks like 3 reflectors. Centre is main only which is why it's so narrow, left and right share the (hidden) low beam lamp.

H7 lamp 12 volt 55 watt (asymetric) Sir, be prepared to take all the plastics off to change it and check/reinforce the ground wire!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Ah, thanks, that explains it.

Is there a writeup somewhere on how to get the minimum amount of bodywork off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:31 am
Addict

Do a search. 'Minimum' is just about all of it and the screen, except the 2 side panels at the rear. You might think there's an easier route if you have small pinkeys, but you will curse and swear. Take 1/2 hour to get the plastics off, check the ground wires and replace any black pilot bulbs whilst in the headlamp/instrument cluster assembly.

When you get going, you might think it wise to put in a new main bulb as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2007, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

I was afraid you were going to say that. Is the main beam the same spec?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Did it! And it's not that hard either...

Well, I just changed the low beam bulb in about 25 minutes without removing the fairing. Some of that time was spent working out where the bulb is and how to get the clips off. Next time it's a 15 minute job, easy.

1. Screen up, bars to the left
2. Push on big spring clip that holds the headlamp bowl - pushed quite hard to get it off the right side
3. Bars to the right, remove the other side. Bowl is now loose. Rotate it upwards as far under the instrument panel as possible.
4. Reach up from underneath, unhook bulb spring clips. Wiggle bulb out of its socket
5. From above, remove the wires from the bulb. There was enough wire on mine to be able to see it too, looking down past the bars. Bulb comes out
6. Slightly hard bit now - looking through the lamp lens, put bulb in the socket from below. Use other hand to move spring clip over the bulb, but don't try to clip it yet, just to hold the bulb in place. I wore latex gloves so it didn't matter if I touched the bulb (but I didn't anyway so that was oK)
7. I could see the bottom spring clip from underneath, just over the top of the small radiator. Clip it in.
8. Lie on back under front of bike, reach up and clip second clip in.
9. Get electrical connector on.
10. Stand up, stretch, rotate the bowl down over the lamp again. It's pretty obvious when it's in the right place. Push spring clip up to hold it in place, get under the bike and put the spring clip back.

Job done.

Hope this helps someone.

Ian
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Looking for better limits...

Nice write-up!

I think I got stuck initially with the instructions (written for the RS, without the electric windscreen) at getting the rear cover out of the area.

Instead, two things...raise the screen all the way up and leave that damned cover shoved up and out of the way.

I'll have to try that next time the bulb goes out. As for removing the plastics first, I've left the big side panels on and just removed the nose piece along with the hand guards and the piece that sits next to the gauges (on each side). If nothing else gets in the way (like conversation of why I have to take all the plastic off), it's a 20 minute job, having done it a few times.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode