Did it! And it's not that hard either...
Well, I just changed the low beam bulb in about 25 minutes without removing the fairing. Some of that time was spent working out where the bulb is and how to get the clips off. Next time it's a 15 minute job, easy.
1. Screen up, bars to the left
2. Push on big spring clip that holds the headlamp bowl - pushed quite hard to get it off the right side
3. Bars to the right, remove the other side. Bowl is now loose. Rotate it upwards as far under the instrument panel as possible.
4. Reach up from underneath, unhook bulb spring clips. Wiggle bulb out of its socket
5. From above, remove the wires from the bulb. There was enough wire on mine to be able to see it too, looking down past the bars. Bulb comes out
6. Slightly hard bit now - looking through the lamp lens, put bulb in the socket from below. Use other hand to move spring clip over the bulb, but don't try to clip it yet, just to hold the bulb in place. I wore latex gloves so it didn't matter if I touched the bulb (but I didn't anyway so that was oK)
7. I could see the bottom spring clip from underneath, just over the top of the small radiator. Clip it in.
8. Lie on back under front of bike, reach up and clip second clip in.
9. Get electrical connector on.
10. Stand up, stretch, rotate the bowl down over the lamp again. It's pretty obvious when it's in the right place. Push spring clip up to hold it in place, get under the bike and put the spring clip back.
Hope this helps someone.