Ohlins Front Preload Adjuster - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Question Ohlins Front Preload Adjuster

At the start of the summer I fitted a RhineWest chip & cam wheel set and the result has renewed my love for my KRS, and have decided to blow some money on new front and rear Ohlins.

I notice it is possilbe to get as a seperate item a remote preload adjuster to fit the front shock. My question is does one need to adjust the preload on the front ever, once set up

We tour heavily two up with a heavy Bagalux Omega tank bag and its made me think it might be worth having the remote adjustment especially if coupled with ESC shocks .

Anybody got any views on this

Nigeldav

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2007, 4:22 pm
JIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldav
At the start of the summer I fitted a RhineWest chip & cam wheel set and the result has renewed my love for my KRS, [snip
Nigeldav
What IS a "Rhine West chip and cam wheel set"; why would I want one? (Pause for Sales pitch .......)

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
What IS a "Rhine West chip and cam wheel set"; why would I want one? (Pause for Sales pitch .......)
Oh....just because.
You know how the bike seems to become more alive above 7K? Would you like that to start at 4.5k instead? :wtf
Plus, I'm getting about 3MPG better with mostly commute-traffic mileage, staying with mid-grade (89 AKI). Will it out-run a 'Busa now? No. It will make the 'Busa rider act a bit more serious until he figures that out, though.

Cornering and braking still remain the same...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeldav

I notice it is possilbe to get as a seperate item a remote preload adjuster to fit the front shock. My question is does one need to adjust the preload on the front ever, once set up

Anybody got any views on this

Nigeldav
I don't have the preload adjustment on the front. What I did do, though, was bring the bike loaded as if I was on a long trip, which is the heaviest the bike gets, and had the rear shock preload set for both the full weight, and just me without any side cases or tail bag. That way, I know where to set the rear preload. The front didn't change at all, just sat at 1½" of travel when I was on the bike (which is where it should be).

BTW, glad you talked me into that chip-n-gear upgrade...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2007, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Front shock preload

Raz
sorry are you saying that putting the extra weight on ( tank bag etc) made no difference at the front end and therefore there is no point in having the capability to adjust the front preload from weight view point.

I guess the would still be value if you actually want a different ride, ie comfy rather than sport ??

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Don't know about the tank bag, and I can see where going two-up would make a difference in what you take with you for storage.
I'm almost always riding solo, changing weight with the side cases and tail bag. No tank bag. I didn't measure with two people on the bike. I see what you're getting at, and I don't have a good answer.

I can see having preload on the front changing the geometry if not set right, but I'm not certain how that would change the handling. Under braking, the suspension on a bike with forks would be better served with preload being adjustable. The telelever isn't supposed to have much dive under braking, so I don't know how the ride would change with different preload settings. Finally, is there any weight transferred to the front with a passenger sitting on back, or does the telelever design deal with that automatically? In my case, I only added 90lbs/43 kilo's and didn't see a change.

Should've gone in and measured this way, I suppose.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; Sep 10th, 2007 at 4:36 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode