low rpm shudder - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:52 am Thread Starter

low rpm shudder

I had 12k service complete on my '03 K1200Gt last spring. The bike now exhibits
what I call a "shudder" when climbing slight grades or under load at 2500-3500 rpm.
There seems to be a slight loss of power at low throttle low rpm operation. The
engine did not have "shudder" or low power problem before 12k service. Engine
also runs slightly higher than normal operating temperature now. The tech said
valve clearances were too loose and added shims under each bucket at 12k service.
I had a second shop check afterward and they reported clearances were within specs.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with loss of low rpm power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 8:52 am
Veteran

You could throw a new set of plugs in it. Use NGK DCPR7E, order them at NAPA.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 9:49 am
Addict

I Shutter

Right on Brucecha, Gottta love the NGK's. Another thing you may try is fuel injector cleaner. I had a similar problem when I had a KLT and one tank of cleaner cleared it right up. I've been a user of fuel injector cleaner since 2000. My personal choice is Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner. My theory is when you run for many miles and cover several States like you can here in western North Carolina, you can't always be loyal to on brand of fuel. So by constantly mixing fuel brands and all having different additives, weird little thingies grow on the injectors. Not a bad idea to run a bottle of Chevron Techron thru the system first, then start a regiment of Lucas cleaner. Techron was recommended to me by my dealer so it won't hurt anything, like the additives. Good Luck!
BTW- If you have Chevron stations around your parts, their premium fuel has Techron in it.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 10:43 am
Just saying hey

I, personally, would be worried if I had to have a reshim on an engine at 12000 miles. If valve clearances are out at that mileage it could have been carbon build up.
In any case, if it were my bike, I would first recalibrate the motronic injection, and if the problem persisted check the HT leads, plugs and because of the reshim, I would recommend a compression test too.

Just having plug gaps 50% too wide could ,alone, cause the symptoms..

Good luck anyway..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 2:27 pm
Veteran

Make sure all your plug wires are snaped on the plugs.....pull your plastic wire and plug cover and give each a pull....should be a bitch to get the wires off the plugs...if the wires come off with ease then there not on all the way...should have a good snap when they are locked on...pull ypour cover at night and look for spark leaks in the dark....good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Looking for better limits...

1 exhaust valve at the first 12k service needed a shim. I asked, but was told while unusual, not unexpected. I decided to wait-n-see.

1 exhaust valve at 36k, different one, but I don't recall exactly which one. That's been it for 100k...

I do know that the buzzines at 4.8k RPM went away after the 36k service, so while I can't prove it, I'm pretty certain the buzz can come with the valves in spec. If you do go for the fuel system cleaner routine, plan it such that you do it three tanks before the next oil change. I don't know exactly what the cleaner has in it, but have been advised that it's good practice to change the oil soon after the fuel system cleaner is used, and most bottles that you get at an auto supply store will treat a tankful on a car, which is about 3 for the K1200's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode