K1200RS - Grease front ball joint? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS - Grease front ball joint?

Hey all --

Do I need to grease any of this stuff ... #9 in the first pic; #6 in the second pic;

I'm getting a little bit of knock when I run over bumps at really low speeds -- feels like a joint somewhere up front needs some grease. I'm hoping not to have to tear down the front to get into the front shock mount (I have Ohlins.) I think the front Ohlins shock needs grease where it fits into the frame (on the top) -- but not totally sure. Hoping to diagnose without going to the dealer.

Everything I've looked at looks tight -- its a knocking feeling at very low speed when I go over bumps. I've checked all the fittings I can get to.

Ideas?

or

or somewhere under the front part of the frame, where the shock goes?

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2007, 2:21 pm
Just saying hey

I get a rattle that borders on being a knock from the suspension at lowish speeds over shallow potholed road surfaces, but I always assumed it was just a K12 thing, since the bike has had three M.O.T. tests since I've had it, and passed with no comments..
But I'm going to watch this thread in case anybody here knows different...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2007, 2:18 am
Addict

One common source of 'rattle' is the crinkle spring washers holding the front brake disc. The disc is supposed to move (float) but when the spring washers get a bit tired from the heat and slacken off the disc can rattle. Either 'Bend 'em back like Beckham' or buy new.

I've had all the engine mounting bolts out (greased when put back), but I think these are an unlikely problem unless they are actually loose, since they are torque'd sufficient to hold the center sleeve of the rubber mount and there is a lot of dead load on them.

I'm not sure if the average bike tester is going to pickup on rattles during a static test as they don't use any sophistocated suspension test machines. They will be looking for the type of wear you get with a headstock bearing which you can check yourself. Everybody here says the oem shocks don't last long and the first sign of shock wear is often a knock.

It looks a horrible part of the bike to get to and work on and you'll go through 'Loctite Hell' getting the yoke plate bolts out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQuaterX
I get a rattle that borders on being a knock from the suspension at lowish speeds over shallow potholed road surfaces
That describes my symptoms exactly. I don't think it's normal as the knock is more noticable lately.

I'll give a look at the brake discs -- although, I did a pretty thorough check on that area and didn't notice anything loose. Worth a look, however.

The knock "feels" like its coming from the main front fork bearing - where the frame seats onto the front wheel. However, knocks can be deceiving -- anything loose could send a knock up through the bars - even a loose GPS mounted on the handlebars (which I've checked!)

When I'm not rockin' @ radio.wazee I'm screamin' around Denver on my 2003 K1200RS!

Click here to view my photo gallery of bike pics!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2007, 1:46 pm

front end "knock"

I have to agree with Voxmagna. My 99 K12RS started "knocking" recently and I had replaced the disc washers less than 9k ago. I had this issue on a previous bike.

Just reach down, grab the rotor and move it. You can feel the flex and sometimes even duplicate the knock. New washers time!

That said, on the way to the National in Wisconsin my bike got dizzy and fell over while stopped. When I picked it up and got ready to go I noticed a "knock" and some play in the front end. Being in the middle of nowhere and without my shop tools, lift, etc. I wound up having to trailer the bike back to Denver as I was leery of riding at highway speeds with "play" of unknown origin in the front end.

I suspected the "A" arm attached to the frame as it would move when grasped and flexed. Without a manual or parts book on the road I opted to wait until I got it home thinking that the pivot bolt that goes through the frame and holds the A frame had somehow broken or the frame was damaged.

When I got it home, I removed the fork tube assy. and could see the back of the A frame where it was attached to the frame. You need a good light and sharp eyes. I noticed an allen bolt that was loose. Before I removed it to put some loctite on it I checked the manual and discovered that there was a lock nut on the other side. Thank goodness I didn't pull it out or I would have wound up with a big headache trying to find the nut and getting it back on in a totally limited access environment.

I checked the torque specs. and re-tightened the bolt. Voila! All play was gone from the front end and the "knock" from the front end, not rotor related, had also disappeared.

I don't believe the "fall-over" was the total cause of the bolt coming loose. I think the nut had been coming loose for some time and the sudden jerk of the fall over caused the A frame to "spring" loose from the pivot assy.

This is something that others might want to check on their machines although I don't know why the locking nut would come loose. My K only has 24k on it. Still an ounce of prevention, etc. You can see the allen bolt I'm talking about in the parts cd breakdown. It's underneath the A frame and on the left side when facing the front of the bike.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2007, 2:47 pm
Enthusiast

SNOWY124S can you post a pic of nut and bolt you are taking about, or a page in the shop man

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 3:11 pm

A Frame "trailing arm" bolt

The bolt is shown in diagram 31_0353 "Trailing Arm" of the parts cd (look at the forks section). It is number 4. and the part number is 07 119 901 029.

The bolt head is hard to see you have to to follow the Trailing arm on the left side (facing the bike) and look underneath to see it.

Hope that helps.

snowy1248

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode