'01 splines?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 10:39 am Thread Starter

'01 splines??

Hi;

Just got my first BMW, a '01 K12RS, a cpl weeks ago so I'm new here.

I'm about to mount a new rear tire (Conti. Road Attack since I REALLY liked them on the Triumph I traded in on the K.RS).

I've done some scouring of this an other sites, but I can't find any conclusive info on lubing the splines...

Do I need to lube the splines on my '01? It's got 12000 miles. Where exactly are these splines? I got a Haynes manual, but 'splines' aren't in the index.
What do I lube them with, and how much?

Advance Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Addict

If your USA Haynes is anything like my UK one's for cars, I'd go and get the Clymer manual for your bike.

Inside the swingarm, that's from the rear black boot to the front boot there's a short 'prop shaft' with an internal spline. Just past the big boot going rearwards there's a short stub of universal joint followed by a male spline which plugs into the propshaft. As the rear suspension moves up and down these sliding splines move in and out to shorten/lengthen the shaft.

I wouldn't get too worried just yet, provided the boots at both end are good and there's no water getting inside the swingarm. I don't know how the guys who worry about it do it as a service op because I've always had an excuse when I've removed the final drive or swingarm. It doesn't seem that simple unless they can somehow get in there through the rear boot without pulling the final drive itself - which means extracting the swingarm bearings to. Perhaps they cut a big hole in the bottom and fitted a perspex inspection window, useful to check for oil as well!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 5:53 pm
Will ride for picts

The K1200RS / GT does not need regular spline lubrication. This was a problem with prior generation bikes, which required it every 10k miles (IIRC). 72k on mine, and have never lubed them.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
The K1200RS / GT does not need regular spline lubrication. This was a problem with prior generation bikes, which required it every 10k miles (IIRC). 72k on mine, and have never lubed them.
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 1:43 am

Its an easy task, takes all of 30 minuets to lube the splines,(IF you have a lift and a shop and mech minded) Honda makes a great spline lube product, I personaly am not sold on BMW version of spline Lube....matthew
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefelton
Its an easy task, takes all of 30 minuets to lube the splines,(IF you have a lift and a shop and mech minded) Honda makes a great spline lube product, I personaly am not sold on BMW version of spline Lube....matthew
It's not 30 minutes if the rear swinginging arm pivots have been sealed in with Loctite!

Do you know what method they use to do it in 30 minutes and have you tried it?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:58 pm

Yea you want to time me, Ive been wrenching since i was 8 years old, some people just have a natural ability, that would be me...matthew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode