'03/'04 K1200GT - is something wrong? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 11:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

'03/'04 K1200GT - is something wrong?

First off, I am brand spanking new to the site. I did do a search of Google as well as this site to try to find an answer but all I can seem to find is ergonomics.

My history - my first BMW was a 1988 K75s. Wonderful machine except the riding position hurt my back and my wrists fell asleep all the time. So, it was sold and the next was a 1994 K1100lt. Another wonderful machine with better touring ergonomics. My wife and I started going places two up and I was told after the second trip that I need a bigger bike.

OK, so I sold it and bought a (whispering) 1999 HD Ultra. It's OK, but...'nough said.

Now to the present....I ride pretty much alone now so I am looking to go back to a BMW. The successor to the K1100lt, the K1200lt, is a no thanks. I then looked at an R1200RT and then the new K1200GT, which I consider more of a true replacement to the K1100lt than the 12LT. So in my search and review and detailed analysis that is typical of my anal purchase decision making, I am stumbling on a handful of 2004 GT's and 2006/07 GT's for sale. So here is two perfect examples:

2004 K1200GT 20,300 miles w/cruise, saddle bags, but no trunk or tank bag; 8,995

2006 K1200GT 11,500 miles w/ESA, cruise, 'board computer', saddle bags, small trunk, but no tank bag; 18,000

Besides the obvious that the 2006 is the 'next generation' and just worth more by default since it is still be produced, I am very confused. 2003's seem to be going for a low of about 10k to about 13k. 2004's are similar. The dealer is telling me there is nothing wrong with the 2004 he just wants it off the floor now that it is almost fall (on sale).

Is this due to the ergo's? Is it like the K75s with low bars and high pegs? I thought when the GT was intro'd in 2003 that it had higher bars and lower pegs than the RS as a touring bike?

Please help!

Dan Eggert
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

RE: is something wrong?

I read my own post and thought 'this may be confusing...'

The 'price' spread of 2003/04 of 10k to 13k for some pretty low mileage machines, in comparison to the 2006/07 of about 17k to 23k, is enormous. If an average is taken for nearly the same mileage it looks like 2003/04 about 12k, 2006/07 about 19k. That is the root of the question on what is wrong with the 2003/04 and hence in this section rather than in the Next Gen section. $7k is a lot of trip money...

Dan Eggert
Saint Clair Shores, MI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 3:01 pm
Enthusiast

Have you taken either one for a ride? You can always move the bars and pegs around a little to suit you. I have the '03 GT and IMO is a much better looking bike. As far as ESA is concerned right now - I can take it or leave it. The biggest plus to me would be the extra storage you might get on the newer GT's. The muffler cuts way into that left bag on my '03. I added a T-Bag and I think I have 'enough' room now for myself for extended touring. Last spring I went back and forth from NH -> FLA and I was comfortable even with a couple of 600-700 mile days.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 3:53 pm
Veteran

If I understand your post correctly. The 2003-04 RS and GT were deeply discounted by BMW at the dealer level due to overproduction and the new model S,RS & GT's coming out. That is what make them cheaper in re-sale value, not that the bike is cheap or has anything wrong with it.

If you like one, buy it!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 6:15 pm
Addict

This.Or that.Could be the other.

I have an 04 in the fast colour (grey green,of course).It is also a stealth machine,never seen by police. I bought it new

My bike has had some reliability issues but all repaired under warranty.So far,so good.

I had issues with ergos,back,wrists,knees and seat.Hey I am 55 and I am not going to live forever!I installed barbacks that have solved all the ergos except sore butt after a long day.I will probably be able to handle that.

This is a very beautiful bike.It is ferociously powerful yet very controllable.In my mind I ride it 20000 miles a month.

I looked at the new GT when it came out.I didn't care for its looks at first but I have warmed up to it.It has some nice features:I hear the ESA is very desirable,much more powerful engine etc.As Mr Lajoie pointed out,the classic GT was robbed of luggage space to permit the upswept pipe.

I love my bike though,it does everything I want it to do.I think for you,how much you want to spend,how new a bike you want, could be the deciding factors.

Just as an insght,I had an 84 R100RT with which I was quite happy.My friend has a 98 K1200RS,in red,which I must admit,is almost as fast a colour as mine.I made the mistake of swapping rides with him for an hour and I was swept to the Dark Side(K ownership.)

Dunno if any of this musing helps.Nice problem for you to have!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 8:58 pm

I was in the same position you are last month when I purchased my 03 GT. I was ready to purchase a new GT when I spied the 03 sitting on the floor. It had only been there for a day. The previous owner had traded it in for a GS and they wanted it off the floor to make room for new inventory. They had it priced at $10K and I just could not see paying the extra $8K for the newer model.

I took a ride on both just to compare and decided the 03 was for me. I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but so far there is not much to dislike. About the only gripe I have is that the tank does not hold enough fuel. I think this is the first bike I have owned that I could stay in the saddle longer than the fuel would last.

Both models are great motorcycles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 9:34 pm

I have a 2004GT and I love to ride this bike its a great bike that do everything good. Its fast good for all day and sport too. The price of service is high but a great buy.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 7:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks to all!

Thanks for all the responses. A couple of points:
- When the 2003 GT came out following the RS intro I was very excited and wanted one then, but things were not ready for a switch in my particular instance. So there is some left over excitement lurking about in my head. The 2003/04 is still a new bike, especially the ones with 20k or less miles.
- Newness is not as much of a concern for me as my old(er) K75S and K1100LT are still running around doing just fine. The K-bike's in general are awsome. Do you remember the smoke cloud on start up before BMW started pinning the rings? LOL, that old K75S was a great mosquito fogger, and it still is! The K1100LT was 'fixed' so some of the character was lost, but it was a character all on it's own. I decided to go 'K' back when I bought the K75 after riding it and an R bike. The K was the way to go then. The new R1200RT is nice, but it looks a bit bloated to me. I may ride one too just to see how it rides. Friends tell me it is better than the K platform but I think I need to check that out myself.
- The K1100LT had limited saddle bag space on one side also, for right now I cannot remember which side (I think it was the left), but it was probably similar.
- I see the most popular modifications on the '03/'04 GT's on the used market are bar backs, bigger windshield, and aftermarket luggage.

I will try to grab a ride this weekend on some of these bikes. My excitement is building!

Thanks to all....more later.

Dan Eggert
Saint Clair Shores, MI
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 7:53 am
Enthusiast

I bought my '03 GT in April of last year and have loved it since. I wanted the new GT but the price was more than I wanted to spend for a bike. I know mine is heavier, slower and has less technology to it than the new GT's, but I figure I don't know what I'm missing since I don't have the new one. I love the look of my bike (and contrary to a previous post the Orient Blue is actully the fastest color). Save the money and put it into a GPS and any other farkles you want to add.

'03 K1200GT

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 6:13 pm
Enthusiast

03/04 Gt

I recommend you go to the sale section of this website and look at a few GT's for sale. Also go to www.ibmwr.org, craigslist, and check out other GT's for sale. The market is soft on K bike and R bike pricing with the release of the 1200 series BMW's. More and more people are trading up since it has now been 2 years since the new K1200 series engine has been out. If you can wait about 2 months or so I would guarantee you can find better pricing on the bike you want and lower mileage. If the seller wants to sell now he definitely does not want to hold it through the winter and will probably be willing to deal with a true buyer. Good luck and have fun searching for your next bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode