Finally Rode my wife's RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Smile Finally Rode my wife's RS

Yes that's right, after she's had that red beast for 26 months and 38K miles she finally let me ride it. Smooth as silk acceleration, felt like I got to 90 in a few quick seconds. What changed her mind? She wants a new bike and I want her RS. She loves that bike but even after 38K miles she hates the low speed maneuverability of the RS. She really puckers up in the parking lots.

After I got off the RS I got right on my GS and it was like I was driving a truck. Nothing wrong with a truck but it time for something more refined. Anyone need an '04 R1150GS? PM me if you know anyone that is interested and I will give you the link. I'm really looking forward to touring on that RS.

FlagGS soon to be FLagRS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Addict

Smile Nothing like the classic GT/RS

Ah!

Another one swept to the Dark Side by the velvet smooth power of the mighty K!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2007, 9:38 pm
Addict

I can sympathize with your wife's pucker factor at slow speeds... but the sweetness of the handling at speed makes up for it. What is she looking at as a replacement?

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 4:28 am

I was a custom/cruiser guy, until a good friend of mine, who didn't ride, spied a great deal on a '01 K12RS (almost $400 under trade-in!) and asked me to test ride it, then ride it the 50 miles home for him. Three days later, I took my custom to Stroker's of Dallas and put it on consignment and bought an '03 K12RS. In 31 years of riding, my favorite motorcycle to date.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebS
I can sympathize with your wife's pucker factor at slow speeds... but the sweetness of the handling at speed makes up for it. What is she looking at as a replacement?
Looks like she wants a new RT. In addition to the low speed concerns, she also seemed to get back and butt fatigue on multi day trips and by the third or fourth day she was pretty beat up. She is in very good shape, runs 40 miles a week and lifts daily. I always told her that's the problem "you exercise too much". But nothing going to stop her from running. We put on some small bar backs, a sargent seat and raised the foot pegs and that helped a lot. We think the RT's more upright riding position and shorter reach will help with fatigue. The RT is a little lighter and of course has a much shorter wheelbase, so that will make much easier to handle at low speeds. Of course going from that K engine to the boxer twin will be a big change.

But all and all it's just time for a change.
FlagGS

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 9:46 am

Maybe she should look at a... Triumph Sprint.

I LUVed the 955 engine in the Sprint RS I had. It's PERFECTLY between the K and R engines. And the new 1050s are reported to be even better.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:26 am
Enthusiast

My wife finds my S less tiring on long rides than her KRS, and of course much easier to handle at low speeds. She has her heart set on a new K1200R-Sport now!

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 2:30 pm
Enthusiast

How about an '04 or earlier GT? I love my '03 and after 26k on it I am finally getting used to the low speed maneuvering. It's a little more upright, similar to an R without the 'buzz' the R brings with it.

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Just kicking into this discussion to recommend you keep your GS....there's times that the KRS is just not suited to taking off down a dirt side road.

But the K kicks it when you're on the slab.

Dark side or not, I go both ways on the bikes.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboshart
My wife finds my S less tiring on long rides than her KRS, and of course much easier to handle at low speeds. She has her heart set on a new K1200R-Sport now!
The K12S and K12R Sport are both good ideas. We need to make a trip down to Phoenix soon and test ride them all. Waiting for the temps to drop below 100. Should be next week.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode