Getting the Rubber Side Down Again - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 5:17 am Thread Starter

Getting the Rubber Side Down Again

To date, I have been fortunate and I have not dumped my K12RS...yet. I am sure it is a matter of when, not if.

Yesterday, my friend dropped his K12RS at around 5mph on a right turn. No injury and only minor damage (front turn indicator baseplate and right front footpeg needed replacement) but he couldn't get it back on it's wheels without assistance. My friend is an average sized guy, 5'9" 170lbs, and I am about the size of a typical NFL defensive lineman (6'4", 320lbs, lift weights 5 days a week). I came out to help him, and it was still a bear.

The primary issue I had was locating a good spot to lift from, so that I could apply full force from my legs and not feel things starting to bend or strain. I know that this has to be a matter of technique over brute force, and I was hoping for some insights as I was not able to discover this on my first try.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 7:42 am
Just saying hey

I don't know where I'd grab it on the right, but I put my side stand on gravel , stepped off the bike to the left, with my left hand still on the left grip.
As I was about to release my grip, the bike rolled off the stand and by the time I realised this was happening, I could only tighten my grip and hope that I could hold on.
I managed to hold the bike up with one hand, with the pegs nearly on the gravel and very slowly move across until I got a grip under the side handle with my right hand, but it was one hell of a lift to right the bike. ( had to try and maintain the position while I bent my legs to get some power for the lift.. that was the most difficult bit)
If the handle had not been there, I would have lost it, because the grip on the rack was not enough.
If I can fit a grab handle on the right, I will do so. There is nothing else to take the strain unless you spread the load out with several people lifting.

I reckon that I must have been holding around 300lbs with one hand (had full tank and loaded topbox). I'm 6'1 and under 200lbs, and when I was 30 years younger would have had trouble with it.

If you ever see a K biker with one arm 6" longer than the other.... that'll be me most likely..lol..

Actually the dead weight almost put off buying a K!200RS, but I'm still glad that I did.

Last edited by McQuaterX; Sep 14th, 2007 at 7:50 am.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 8:38 am

Re Getting the Rubber Down Again

Pirates Lair has a link to an article complete w/ pictures on this:

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 8:42 am
Enthusiast

As one of the unfortunate who has dropped a bike from a standstill I can tell you that the RS/GT is no piece of cake to get upright. However, I'm the same size as your fiend and I have managed to pick it up twice after dropping it (in the same week no less :banghead ). I picked my GT up by using the handlebars and grabbing under the side panel on the frame. It wasn't easy, but leverage and effort got it done.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the good information and responses. I may get the pads that I saw in one of the videos and do some practicing.

I appreciate it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRSr
Pirates Lair has a link to an article complete w/ pictures on this:

http://pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html
That link, in a nutshell, is the best explanation for getting a bike back up. And, you can tell from the pictures, she's far from playing even HS football.

She's done it with Goldwings and Harley Electra Glides.

Scary part, though, is practicing. Good idea about the pads, good luck in actually putting the bike on it's side (even with the pads...it's just wrong )

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 3:26 pm
Enthusiast

I used that exact technique when I dropped my bike last year. Works like a charm, but make sure to be careful as you get nearly upright as you don't want it to go over the other way!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 3:34 pm
Looking for better limits...

When you get the bike near vertical, the weight on you is quite a bit less, and you should be able to get to the side stand with one foot and kick it out (preferably not into the other ankle).

When lifting from the right side, put the kickstand out prior to the start of the lift. Best thing is to be able to hold the bike vertical and turn around to better control movement. But, that also depends on the terrain. Your odds of dropping the bike go up with the elevation changes of the surface you're one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Addict

On the level...

I've had mine down twice practically at a standstill, as are most I believe. The first time on a level parking lot. The second time in my driveway on a downward slope....that was almost impossible to get upright. Full tank of fuel didn't help either. Good luck to all who encounter this situation.

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Great idea with putting the kick stand down in advance to prevent a "Three Stooges" Level event.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode