lsl kit on k1200rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Question lsl kit on k1200rs

has anyone tried this kit? i have one,seems to provide a minor improvent in reach. i hope to realize a flatter grip. presently using 30 mm verholins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2007, 9:43 pm

What is the kit? Is there a link?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 5:58 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMikey
What is the kit? Is there a link?
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 9:06 am
Addict

That's interesting because when I first got my RS I wondered about trying to get a more upright 'cruiser' position and found that BMW do a complete top yolk for the 'police spec' models (probably lots of $$s). The advantage I saw, was that there's a lot more choice in bar styles.

However, and they do mention this on the site, you have to watch for clearance around the front fairing and screen as some bar styles may be quite radically different. Also the clutch line is a pain using a very small banjo at the slave and I haven't found anybody yet that can re-make the line in different lengths.

What's nice about these is you don't have to strip off the top yolk, they just replace the existing risers. So if you don't like your high 'Ape' bars you can easily put the oems back. But I think controls, wiring and hydraulics are still going to be an issue.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:03 am

I know from putting the standard extensions on a friends '01 K12RS, that there is a narrow tolerance for repositioning the brake and clutch. Anything that moves their location more than about 35mm will likely require new lines.

Regards,
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 1:44 pm
Enthusiast

LSL Kit

I have installed the Spiegler kit on one K1200RS (with K1100LT bars!) and drilled my top clamp to accept /6 'bar clamps. I'm using a K1 'bar, which I find very comfortable. The K1 'bar goes on without modification to wiring or hoses.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54089093
I have installed the Spiegler kit on one K1200RS (with K1100LT bars!) and drilled my top clamp to accept /6 'bar clamps. I'm using a K1 'bar, which I find very comfortable. The K1 'bar goes on without modification to wiring or hoses.
What year K1200RS? Was there any conflict with the screen or plastics?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Enthusiast

ISL Kit

The LT 'bars want to touch the fuel tank cover at full lock, requiring the bars to be tilted up bit more than I'd like them to. The K1 bar forced me to drill the steering stops and install button head screws to clear the tank. A lot ot work, but worth it to me. The windshielld was not a problem on either bike.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2007, 8:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That's interesting because when I first got my RS I wondered about trying to get a more upright 'cruiser' position and found that BMW do a complete top yolk for the 'police spec' models (probably lots of $$s). The advantage I saw, was that there's a lot more choice in bar styles.

However, and they do mention this on the site, you have to watch for clearance around the front fairing and screen as some bar styles may be quite radically different. Also the clutch line is a pain using a very small banjo at the slave and I haven't found anybody yet that can re-make the line in different lengths.

What's nice about these is you don't have to strip off the top yolk, they just replace the existing risers. So if you don't like your high 'Ape' bars you can easily put the oems back. But I think controls, wiring and hydraulics are still going to be an issue.

The most likely conflict with most handlebars on a K1200RS will be the mirrors with the screen. Clearance with the OEM BMW authority bars/top triple clamp is marginal at best during low speed full lock manoeuvres.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2007, 6:44 pm
Addict

It could be worse then with the newer ovals and wider ABS stems? After I switched mine with comfort (GT) risers, the mirror stems just touch the screen in low, lock to lock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode