Difference between '03 RS and '03 GT and a trade question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Difference between '03 RS and '03 GT and a trade question

Hello all, I'm considering trading my RT for an RS. I got on it yesterday and it's very smooth and has a little more in the HP department.

This trade does come with some trepidations--my two biggest are the difference in maintenance difficulty-I know how to adjust valves, synch throttle bodies, etc on the Boxer; and comfort/seating.

My first of three questions: what are the major differences between the '03 GTs and the '03 RS's? The gentleman who wants to trade said that he installed the police fairing bits on either side of the windshield, added short barbacks, and bought a comfort windscreen. Is this comparable to a GT position wise? Are the pegs as low?

Secondly, I know that the Boxer engine is rated for quite a life--on the R forums people regularly say that the engine would go for 200,000 k miles. What's the longevity of the K engines? Is this known to be a good one?

Thirdly, is it a worthy trade? My bike is an '02 RT with 14,000 miles and his is an '03 with 20,000. I know that the blue book is a bit higher, but the RTs seem to hold their value a bit better.

Oh, fourthly: is it difficult to perform the maintenance on this bike?

Thanks for the help.

~Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 4:32 pm
Addict

try to help

i have the '04 kgt, and will share some. check dealer records, the '03 and '04 had weak seals. it's a $1500 repair, some guys do it themselves, i wouldnt. the k is very easily maintained. popping tupperware becomes easy with a few tries. gas filter is changed at 24k, involved removing tank, but is very straightforward. buy the clymer manual if u get the k. all fluids are fairly straightforward. brake pads are easy, rear wear out at 15k, front seem to go forever. i get 18k out of tires, but i ride touring only. most guys on these sites get 5-10k on tires. seating sucks, i had to go to a russell, after trying the sargent. i've only had one problem in 36k miles and 2 1/2 yrs riding. clutch seals went at 20k and main engine seal at 33k. both fixed happily by daytona bmw under warranty. i was conflicted at 35k miles as to whether to trade, get an extended warranty, or wing it. the abs is quite expensive, so i decided on pinaccle for an extended. i paid $1250 for 7 yrs unlimited mileage warranty. it includes seals, abs, and is really an extension of the original dealer warranty. like i said previously, i went to daytona and rode a new rt, but i dont honestly think i'll ever be able to return to a twin. four is just so smooth. so i'm happy, hope u have an easy decision.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2007, 7:58 pm
Will ride for picts

GT is the same bike as an RS, but with the following add-on equipment:

Larger comfort windscreen
Electric windscreen motor
Heated grips
Heated seat
Comfort seat (I've done two 1000+ mile days on mine, no problems)
Fixed handlebars (approximately the same as RS adusted to highest setting)
Front fairing extensions (similar to police add-ons, but painted to match)
Lower Wind deflectors (black rubber)
Hard cases (painted to match)
Cruise control

Footpegs are identical.

K-engines should last well over 100k, although, as mentioned above, the rear main seal is prone to leaking. Some will smoke if parked on side stand, but its just residual oil getting past the rings.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode